Glowing exhaust manifold

tquattro

Reaction score
I have a 2002 A3 1.8T AUM and I noticed something a couple of days ago: after normal driving(cruising at 100km/h in 5th gear on relatively flat roads), the exhaust manifold was glowing red, but it was not a strong glow - maybe during the day would have been unnoticeable. Today, after a similar drive I stopped and checked again and there was a similar light glow. Afterwards I was curious if I push the engine a bit, how much stronger the glow will get. So I drove in 4th gear at around 130-140km/h on a 1.5-2km stretch of an uphill and straight road. When I reached the top, all the exhaust manifold had a very strong red-orange glow.

Is this glow normal on 1.8T engines? Engine has no error codes and it seems to work like it always did(pulls strong and normal fuel consumption). For the past year, I'm running an AUQ ECU but everything else is stock. Also, in the last couple of months I used only 98-99RON fuel. Could the ECU or the higher octane fuel cause the exhaust to glow? Or there is another problem? Would a clogged exhaust catalyst have some noticeable symptoms?

Yep... It's normal for the manifold to glow especially when pushed... Joys of turbo engines :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: tquattro
Even if it gets a bit red under normal usage? It is the first time I noticed it.

they go so hot you can almost see through them!!!
these cars get mega hot!!
give it the beans uphill and have another look
it wont he red itll be bright ****** orange!!!!

Reactions: tquattro

this is prawn on heres car and he drives like an old woman!

Reactions: desertstorm, sirbobalot and tquattro
Thanks guys! I can relax now, I just found it weird as I didn't noticed it before on my car :D

not the sort of thing you look for i guess
but if it was just visable your not pushing hard enough lol