1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glow plugs

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by dex140, Jan 27, 2013.

1. dex140

dex140 Member

Hi over the colder weather my tdi has been rough on starting.. I have read for fault codes but no codes associated with glowpugs etc. My question do the glowpugs perish before they fail resulting in rough starting?
  2. @udi A3

@udi A3 Active Member Site Sponsor

I always used to remove the plug and test it on a 12v battery, it should quickly glow red hot.
  3. Vorshprungdork

Vorshprungdork Member

Haven't heard of perishing, in fact in my experience it's quite rare for Glow plugs to need replaced. Could it need serviced, maybe fuel filter change?
  4. Rhyso

Rhyso Member

Weak battery??
  5. dex140

dex140 Member

Its serviced regulary by myself so sadly it wont be this i dont think
  6. dex140

dex140 Member

Possibly i will get it tested! Its weired because my tdi 140 was fine on a cold start but the 170 appears to be quite rough!
  7. chinnyhill10

chinnyhill10 Member

Glow plugs do deteriorate over time and fail just like any heating element. VCDS should show if any of them are beyond use though.
  8. master83

master83 New Member

Be careful with that: some glow plugs are pulsed on, and may have a lower than 12v operating voltage - so they might get fried if hooked up to a battery directly for more than a second or so.

Regarding the OP, if the glow plug fails with a short, it will come up as an error code in VAGCOM. On my 140 TDI, all were shot. Replaced them all, and the starting got better, however the issue I had with cold starting was a lazy starter that resultet in slow turnover and therefore the ECU hesitated to inject fuel. Replaced the starter and the engine turned over 4x faster, and starts right away no matter what temp. See my post: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...i-140-slow-crank-start-cold-video-inside.html
  9. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Yeah the newer starters are better, I fitted a new one to each of our 8P's & the startup speed was dramatic, no word of a lie.
  10. Ads_AudiA3

Ads_AudiA3 Member

Bit of bump but trawling through old posts here as mine has a cold start issue. Plan is to replace start then glow plugs (if required) and clean the injectors also.
    Out of interest when you say the newer starters are these from third party companies or did you go direct to Audi, do you also mind if I ask the cost? I'm thinking about the £250-£300 brand new?
  11. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast

I recently had a quote for a new starter motor from Stoke Audi for £250 and there is a £72 surcharge - you get that back.