glow plug issue?

Nathen

Reaction score
how can you tell if your glow plugs are faulty with out plugging it into a diagnostic machine? I have an A3 BKD if that helps, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You can't (short of electrical testing). You can only get a heads up as to if a fault is present within the system (i.e. MIL on).

You can't (short of electrical testing). You can only get a heads up as to if a fault is present within the system (i.e. MIL on).
I've plugged it into a diagnostic tester and amongst many faults one came up about the heater element, I've asked a family member who used to work for VW as a mechanic and he said that's the glow plugs, I'm changing them anyway, the car is become terrible starting when cold.

Sounds like you're on the right track then :) Let us know how you get on.
will do, from what I heard the glow plugs are easy to change, but one thing I've learned since owning my audi is nothing is as easy as it sounds haha.

Good man!
Word of warning. If the glow plugs are tight coming out, be very careful. If you snap one it's a major headache and a permanent dash fault until fixed.

Good man!
Word of warning. If the glow plugs are tight coming out, be very careful. If you snap one it's a major headache and a permanent dash fault until fixed.
yh so I've heard, I'm sure I'll get it done and hopefully it'll fix some of the starting issues I'm having.

As above if a glow plug is tight coming out then just leave it. An engine with three good plugs will start just fine. Best to try and remove them when the engine is warmed up, they are more likely to come out. If the car is struggling to start when it's 8 degrees and above it's probably not glow plugs.
As for the heater element is it a code on the ECU as it sounds like the auxiliary heater element Z35
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/auxiliary-heater-element-fault.208717/
http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/560434-vcds-faults-what-do-they-mean/

As above if a glow plug is tight coming out then just leave it. An engine with three good plugs will start just fine. Best to try and remove them when the engine is warmed up, they are more likely to come out. If the car is struggling to start when it's 8 degrees and above it's probably not glow plugs.
As for the heater element is it a code on the ECU as it sounds like the auxiliary heater element Z35
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/auxiliary-heater-element-fault.208717/
http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/560434-vcds-faults-what-do-they-mean/
yh I heard that they are easier to change when the engine it warm, yh heater element that's what it is I'm sure, and come to think of it now when I put my heater on it does make a weird squeaking noise but it all works fine heater and air con so not sure tbh, here's a list of my faults I was only aware of the EGR fault before i plugged it in to my diagnostic tester haha.
bf7cfc71a9a052fc096ad8ebedb7fad2.jpg

Well there is the Z35 code at the bottom so that relates to the auxiliary electric heater in the car that I linked to earlier. The same as the 00483 code. Could be those resistors on the PCB need soldering.
The air flow flap positioning motor is the one that is giving you the squeaking noise. could be sticking or more likely an issue with the motor that drives the flap.
You need to investigate the EGR fault really. This is the only fault code related to the engine. I would clear all the faults and see what actually comes back.

Well there is the Z35 code at the bottom so that relates to the auxiliary electric heater in the car that I linked to earlier. The same as the 00483 code. Could be those resistors on the PCB need soldering.
The air flow flap positioning motor is the one that is giving you the squeaking noise. could be sticking or more likely an issue with the motor that drives the flap.
You need to investigate the EGR fault really. This is the only fault code related to the engine. I would clear all the faults and see what actually comes back.
ok I'll have a look into the heater and the air flow flap, you say the airflow flap is somthing to do with the heater, any ideas on how to fix that? as for the EGR valve I've had that off cleaned and replaced the gaskets n rubber O rings since then I've cleared the error code but it has come back so I'm guessing I need a brand new one tbh.