Glow Plug Indicator

darrenp

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1999 TDI A4. Last weekend I noticed the water/engine temperature gauge reading a low level it usually sits at 90 degrees. I checked the oil and it was low so topped it up and things were fine until yesterday when the level went low again - but this time the glow plug indicator starting flashing - this is all whilst driving - it flashed for a minute or two and disappeared but came on again later on and continued this routine.

I've read that the glow plug indicator may come on if the brake switch is faulty, one of my brake lights comes and goes frequently - nothing wrong with the blub and the bulb fixture is fine too so maybe the brake switch is faulty - but then would this effect all the brake lights rather than just one.

Could it be that the glow plug indicator is coming on because of the brake switch and the engine temperature guage is unrelated or more likely they are related and the brake light fault is unrelated to them?

Regards
Darren

An update on this.
The brake lights started to come on when the tail lights were switched on - thus making me convinced that the problem was the brake light switch. So I got a new brake light switch a few weeks ago - only got around to putting it in on Saturday, handy enough to do and was done in about 15mins altogether with removing and replacing the cover under the steering etc.

Anyway, after the new switch went in, the brake lights and tail lights behaved in the same way as before. i.e, when the tail lights were on the brake lights were on and when the tail lights were off, the brake lights behaved as they should.

Then I thought about the taillight bulbs, the result - a dodgy tail light blub, changed this and everything was fine!!