Glovebox Hinge Repair

e25c3f19.jpg

e6758166.jpg

941451bc.jpg

Here are the cables.
Oh and glovebox fixed- pix to come

I'll check the schematics, see if we can see what it is.

Looks like those cables on the 1st and 3rd slot on the bottom row.

Yeah but check the connector markings with a torch & see if thats pin 1 & 3, its usually marked with the end pins connector number, so 1 end will show 1 & 7 & other will show 6 & 12, or maybe different but always marked. on either male or female part.

Doh its gone back in now.
I elected to remove the dampner to save it happening again

Dude, sod the missus, this is critical stuff we need to know, its like a drug addiction lmfao, get it out, lets find out what it is.

Where you located, assume UK, can pm my number & bell me so we can find out what the hell that wire is as got my intrigued & confused.

Leave it with me the good lady is out in the car at the mo

Due to the fact some members are lazy ***** :p

I have tracked down the 2 wires & the pcb shown, its known as the glovebox locking motor V224, took me a while but sorted.

It goes to central convenience so must be.

Did not mean to be lazy but my wife is not too keen on me puling apart her new car

Doesn't look the best I have to say, I did it a different way:

Then filled the top of the hole with black silicone and it doesn't stand out as much :p

I don't understand. Why did you create a hole on top of the glove box and then fill it with black silicone? Could you not just use a drill bit to tap into the glovebox itself and then screw the hing in?

Could you not just use a drill bit to tap into the glovebox itself and then screw the hing in?

Thats what i did looks ok. Not as strong as Quattrojames's repair. uesd a screw and epoxy.

thanks for this thread James... did the fix today and delighted with the outcome...

Looks like my damper has been dissconnected and is very stiff to pull manually. I want to take it off and see if I can repair it but, it is not 'pulling' off the mount vey easily. Does it just pull away from the steel mount or is there something more to it than that?

Its ok, I've sussed it. Looks like the mounting is broke tho aswell as the connecting arm.....I'll need a new damper I'm afraid!

Oh dear.:ohmy:

I must admit I sprayed mine with a bit of lubricant and it resolves it for a short while but I want a more permanent fix, what have others done to rectify the fact the damper goes sooo stiff as I dont want to have to deal with a snapped hinge.

Yes I lubed mine to see the difference and it was much better. Just phoned Audi for a price and they're £20 for the brake and 60p for the little hinge pin. So I suppose its worth buying a new one for piece of mind. If you feel it starting to stiffen (oo er misses) get the lube out(oh I hope the wife doesn't read this.....she might not understand!).

Bought a new one recently and it was too stiff to use.They reluctantly replaced it but this one is only just working and you have to pull the cover down gently but the next time it works better.Why cant they make a reliable one?

I must admit I sprayed mine with a bit of lubricant and it resolves it for a short while but I want a more permanent fix, what have others done to rectify the fact the damper goes sooo stiff as I dont want to have to deal with a snapped hinge.

Have you seen this?

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...wners-do-today-save-yourself-over-%A3150.html

You can either remove the O Ring totally. or trim a mm off the outside all the way around so it slides up and down the barrel easier.

Just got off the night shift and read your email regarding the broken glovebox lid hinge,thanks for the detailed photo repair guide it will make this sooo much easier to comprehend and manage.
Best regards Marco64.
icon14.png

Hi quattrojames,i don't know if you can remember,but you advised me on the aforementioned problem and all went really well,job done to great relief,but......
When i reinstalled the glovebox assembly,the drivers airbag light is constantly on.
I know that everything is as it was before the repair,i am a trained mechanic and auto electrician,but have been employed in a different field for nearly thirty years so technology has left me in it's wake.
I would really be grateful if you could tell me if there is a reset function to be done after re-energising the system.
I turned off the passenger airbag via the key switch if that is of any relevance,yours hopefully Marco64.

You'll need to clear the airbag light at a dealer or someone with vcds on the forum, check the link in my thread for users with vcds, if you want to get upto speed with tech, invest in vcds mate, its extremely useful for modern vag cars, give me a shout as I sell the genuine article :)

I'm not sure what you can have disturbed to cause the airbag light to come on.....

As NHN so subtley pointed out..... you need to have it properly reset with VCDS.

Remind me what commission you pay Nige? ;)

:sly:

& with all respect Turkster, £90 isnt exact bank breaking is it come on.

Go to audi, but take a defribillator with you, then come back & be shocked lol.

Dont get your logic, you quibble at £90 for used, but think £200 is acceptable for new lmfao, yeap its a conspiracy.

If I tell you, I'll have to shoot you, but lids are about £124 & whole thing just over £400, now 240v ok?

It costs so much because it is engineered to buggery! When I opened up just the lid itself,with the engineering that had gone into it, they probably had a team of 12 guys designing only the lid for 4 years and built and entire production facility for making lids with trained lid specalist workers and a town to keep them all (called LidBerg).

The glovebox lid on my mazda is made from a single piece of plastic and works fine ;)