1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glove box door issue

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by T3KT0N1K, Jul 14, 2013.

1. T3KT0N1K

T3KT0N1K Member

Hi guys.

I've got a feeling this is quite common, but I can't find any threads on it.

My glove box door on my S3 8P2 only opens half way under its own weight. Anyone fixed this? Is it a simple greasing fix, or is it pneumatic?
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

This has been discussed many times tbh, I would search a bit harder as I've personally written number of times how to fix the glovebox arm.
  3. T3KT0N1K

T3KT0N1K Member

4. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member

Just realised mine is broke after changing the bulb and it still wasn't working, mine has snapped so thinking of super glueing it and lubing the damper as its real stiff. Hopefully that will work rather than buying a new part
  5. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Superglue wont hold it, you need to use super glue to hold them together then bond round the break & up/down the parts with araldite or a 2 pack resin to make the repair hold, then grease the inside of the brake element.
  6. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member

Cheers Nigel, will that hold? Have you carried out a repair before using this method?
  7. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

What do you think lol.
  8. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member

I'll take that as a yes then old Obi Wan Kenobi :salute:
  9. MxGaza33

MxGaza33 Member

If it's the bulb not lighting up your worried about then just pull the damper out to the extended position and leave it. Mine broke again after attempting to glue so that's what I've done for the time being. The light will be on all the time but locking the car turns it off anyway so it won't drain the battery!
  10. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Ironically, Star Wars is on tv lmao.

If yours broke even after glueing then you couldn't of bonded it very well around the break & up/down the part, everyone I've repaired to date hasn't broke thus far, without being all superior about it either :)
  11. MxGaza33

MxGaza33 Member

I'll admit it was a quick fix, busted! It was on my things to do list with some contact adhesive but forgot all about it until I seen this thread :D
  12. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Its no good just adding contact to each end of parts, you need to do this aswell as encompassing with a relevant resin, adhesive etc to maintain the repair, the area of the 2 parts where they connect isn't big enough to maintain a contact repair as such, the brake arm/element is subject to allot of force with impatient people yanking them down & also the rubber drying so needs strengthening allot :)
  13. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member

I'll have a go when I get time, it's not bothering me tbh. Glove box opens and closes just fine but was just wondering why the bulb wasn't working and noticed that the arm had snapped