Glacier White Protection Advice

Supa Koopa

Reaction score
Hi,

So I've got a S3 Sportback in Glacier White on order which is due to arrive middle of May. I'm just looking at which products I need to buy to protect it. The dealer knows not to touch the car so I'll be detailing it when it arrives. I already have the stuff to de-tar, remove fallout, clay and polish (da) the paintwork, but the stuff I have available is for a black car. I have the full blackfire over wet ice kit but need something more suited to white. The last two cars have been black so everything I have is aimed at that. :(

The research I've done so far suggests a sealant over wax and I've a few suggestions but nothing very recent, so I was just wondering if there was some up to date information.

The problem I have is the car will be detailed outside as I don't have access to a garage or covered area, so this limits my use of proper quality sealants. I unfortunately don't have the spare cash for a full detail so I'll have to do it myself.

I've been recommended the Carlack kit but this seems quite old, some say it's easy others say it can be a pain. Bristle Hound seems to recommend the Sonax Hybrid NPT stuff topped with BSD, not tried it so was wondering if anyone else had? I've seen cquartz UK which looks like it could be done outside as the curing time is only an hour it would seem, is it any good?

I want the best finish I can get as white will always look a bit flat compared to a dark colour, so any depth to the paint would be welcome (hope that makes sense).

Thanks for any help or advice, it's appreciated.

The Blackfire is greata on dark colours - used it on my old cars.

You mention sealant over wax. No. Sealant needs to be on clean/bare paint. If you have a sealant you don't need a wax either (unless you just like to wax your car?) and your car will stay cleaner longer without!

White cars work well with sealants - an acrylic one such as the carlack would be good.
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000007.pl?WD=acrylic&PN=carlack-acrylic-kit-cat1.html#aZCLAK001

This is a replacement for Jeffs Werkstatt Acryclic which I've used before and it was excellent. Good thing is they are wipe on wipe off so will work for you.

Sorry I meant choosing a sealant over a wax for white cars, not using a sealant over a wax as I know this won't work. :)

I've seen the carlack one and it's the one polished bliss recommend, I just knew it's quite old now and thought there might be something newer or better. Looks like I'll be giving it a go anyway then. Thanks for your help. :)

Bristle Hound seems to recommend the Sonax Hybrid NPT stuff topped with BSD
@Supa Koopa - You could always just use BSD. I've found it works great on white's & layers well too
Decent durability with a great finish & its not going to break the bank either

My old ibis white A4 with BSD applied -

Oh & the beading immense!

My wife's old solid white Ford Ka with BSD applied -

Adding the Sonax Hybrid NPT only enhances the finish IMHO

The ceramic coatings are probably better but you will pay for it. Some of these coatings can be a bit fussy to apply too

Reactions: Supa Koopa
Sorry I meant choosing a sealant over a wax for white cars, not using a sealant over a wax as I know this won't work. :)

I've seen the carlack one and it's the one polished bliss recommend, I just knew it's quite old now and thought there might be something newer or better. Looks like I'll be giving it a go anyway then. Thanks for your help. :)

Ah got it now!!

I applied Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light to Mrs Buck's Polo at the weekend. Really easy and the finish is slick and shiny but you do need to keep the car indoors for a minimum of 12 hours. Have you got a mate with a garage?

Put some Sonax BSD on for now whilst you decide. Great value for money and won't break the bank.

Nope, no mates or garages...! :)

I guess I'll either try the Carlack kit or the NPT stuff. I have some BSD left as I use it on the wifes car and mine as a top up protection.

Dodo juice supernatural acrylic sealant is white in the bottle but dries clear

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Nanolex Si3D
Just amazing, you'll find it hard to actually wet the car........ easy if not time consuming to apply.

Nope, no mates or garages...! :)

I guess I'll either try the Carlack kit or the NPT stuff. I have some BSD left as I use it on the wifes car and mine as a top up protection.

Where are you based? If you're near Yorkshire, you could use my garage.

Alternatively, you could see if anyone local to you (on here) has a garage to loan?