1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GIVE me an RS3 with snow tyres, and lots of lovely deep snow

Discussion in 'RS3 Forum' started by 45bvtc, Jan 18, 2013.

1. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member

Out for lunch today to a pub high on the edge of Cannock Chase; using the steep 15cm deep snow-covered back roads where possible, the RS3 on Vredestein winter rubber was absolutely fault less and loads of fun...

P1010748.jpg

The joys of being retired...
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    daz5182, robbiemac and MBK like this.
  2. MBK

MBK Active Member

Nice picture! My RS3 is tucked up in the warm today but I've always thought quattro is great in the snow. My first experience was in my 3.2 TT Roadster, we were at some hotel out in the sticks near Brecon, the snow came down quickly and many cars struggled to get out of the car park and driveway. In the TT you wouldn't even have known there was snow on the road. While all the traffic was static on the A470 I was able to cut across the deserted A4059 mountain road, the only other vehicle I encountered an old Defender. The TT was just as you describe faultless and fun and that was on the standard Conti's, as this was long before Winter Tyres were popular in the UK. I was surprised just how much grip and traction the TT had because the Scooby I'd owned before that was shall we say a lot more playful.

I can quite imagine the RS3 on winter tyres is brilliant in these conditions!
  3. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member

Our 3.2TT was also amazing (with snow tyres fitted) on snow...

P1010529.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  4. CarrG

CarrG Member

Love it Mate, just one of the joys of Quattro ownership!

Shame mine is at the dealers this week, typical!
  5. P_G

P_G Member

the 3 performs pretty well in the snow, just miss the lack of engine braking although the winter Conti's have very impressive grip. Now all I have to find is that emtpy car park with virgin snow to do some drifting!
  6. robbiemac

robbiemac 'S' Button engaged....

7. Acheron

Acheron Member

Looks so good with that awesome blue contrasting with the snow :)
  8. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member

A little more detail as its still snowing...

n Friday 18th 2013 we awoke to 20cm of snow on the drive.

Fortunately, I had a dental appointment at 11.30 and to get to my destination - 2-miles away - I knew I had to negotiate at least 2-steep snow covered roads whichever way I went.

Within 1-mile from home, half-way down the first steep snow/ice covered hill (Stafford Lane), the road was blocked with cars attempting to climb the hill on both sides all no doubt on their cost effective summer tyres; local residents were out pushing, digging, gritting, etc.,

So, with my trusty RS3 shod with 19-inch VREDESTEIN Wintrac 4xtreme tyres, we undertook a 3-point turn (ok a 5-point turn) in front of several cars slipping and sliding up the hill (and several behind). It was just so easy, and so off back up the hill the way we came via a second more-steep (Church) hill that no one fortunately had attempted, and we arrived at the dentist's in time.

Back home, dental work completed, and having had so much fun with the RS3, we decided to get off to the Malt Shovel at Chorley, high on Cannock Chase, for lunch. But this was 7-miles away and very much up and down and on snow covered back lanes.

View attachment 10179

Again, the car/tyre combination was superb, faultless even.

I can only recommend these tyres positively; they've proven to be faultless on snow, frost, ice, rain, and dry roads, as well as 70-mph plus speeds on A/B roads and motorways.

My second year on them, and no noticeable wear: on my wife's TT too.
  9. S3 AD

S3 AD Member

& the brakes dont squeel in the snow! ;-)
  10. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

only cause the esp has been tapping the brakes the whole journey lol
  11. Kelza

Kelza MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Think i will be getting some snow tyres as i,m paranoid as hell ,when theres snow or ice ,car just sits there ...any pictures of the tyres up close,before they where put back on the car..:) cheers..
  12. S3 AD

S3 AD Member

I have actually been impressed with how the standard conti's ave copped in the snow. Not impressed in just the wet so I wasnt expecting much and was very tenative at first in the snow but they have done very well on roads walking is difficult on
  13. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member

Call me if I can help: I AM 100% with these animals: the ones on the left are for winter, obvously.

Tyres.jpg
    robbiemac likes this.
  14. Kelza

Kelza MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Thanks ,you got them on your standard alloys? They look good ,i was looking for small spikes on the tyres ,thats probally for extreme conditions...
  15. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member

On standard RS3 19-inch rims as shown - VREDESTEIN Wintrac 4xtreme tyres.

NO spikes, honest: check Vredestein website.

I've the same Vredestein tyres on my TT but on 17-inch rims; again, mega purchase on snow/ice/frost/wet/dry roads at minus 7degrees 'C' temperatures.

SAFE, SAFE, SAFE!

And, when you sell the car, I'll bet you can get most of your money beck on the wheel/tyre combo: I did on my A2, TT3.2, and S3 - all with 100mm centre 5-stud wheels. The RS3 and TT Mk 2 are 112mm of course (tsk)
  16. Veneeringman

Veneeringman Bazinga

As an S3 owner I have to agree that the Goodyear ultragrip 8's I purchased in November really have paid off in the snow!!
    car feels like it can go anywhere.
  17. P_G

P_G Member

I'd wouls also recommend Continental TS830P's although I think they have updated them to TS850's now but winter Conti's regularly win winter tyre tests including EVO's IIRC.

Ironically they had more grip at 10 degrees C than the summer Conti's!
  18. monkeyboy_marcus

monkeyboy_marcus Member

I've gone for Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 (PA4) winter tyres - ultra high performance and rated W for speed, so up to 150mph. Same sizes front and back as the Continentals i.e. 325 rear and 335 front - got plenty of queries about that from the tyre people (Micheldever Tyres) but more narrow at the rear is correct. Got these subsidised by the dealer as a goodwill gesture for not being able to resolve the brake squeal issue - now sorted!