Girly newb =) 2.0TFSI(211) vs 2.0TDI (143) vs 2.0TDI (170) vs 2.7TDI (190)

You actually having the oil issue with your car right now?

Miss Cat xxx

Yup, I'm getting 450-550 miles per 1 litre of oil. I topped it up again yesterday; I can't work out whether its burning more oil on the motorway or around the town. My father commented today just how smooth a drive it was when I took my parents to Heathrow. What I did notice when I joined the M4 from the Heathrow Spur pretty rapidly was the amount of black smoke bellowing out of the exhaust. You could have mistaken the car for a diesel...Never seen that before.

I'm concerned its getting worse and considering we are going to be driving 900 miles over the 3 1/2 days, I just didn't want to take the risk. I am going to call the garage tomorrow.

I have the 59 plate A4 Avant, although it is the 2010 facelift; main difference being the LED rear lights and the stop/start function.

fingers x your car is okay !!

im currently looking at a 59 plate as well...i thought the 2010 TFSI didnt have this oil issue? :crying:

on a sidenote....can ppl confirm that all s-line have led rears or not? =D

Miss Cat xxx

im currently looking at a 59 plate as well...i thought the 2010 TFSI didnt have this oil issue? :crying:

Miss Cat xxx

From the July 2009 brochure - S Line Exterior equipment:

Bumper ‘blade’ in Platinum optic Chrome fog light surround Chrome rolled exhaust
S line exterior styling package including: – S line side skirts
– S line front bumper
– S line rear diffuser
– S line badges on wings
Rear LED lights
Roof spoiler (Avant models only)
Xenon headlights with LED daytime-running lights

Yup, I'm getting 450-550 miles per 1 litre of oil. I topped it up again yesterday; I can't work out whether its burning more oil on the motorway or around the town. My father commented today just how smooth a drive it was when I took my parents to Heathrow. What I did notice when I joined the M4 from the Heathrow Spur pretty rapidly was the amount of black smoke bellowing out of the exhaust. You could have mistaken the car for a diesel...Never seen that before.

I'm concerned its getting worse and considering we are going to be driving 900 miles over the 3 1/2 days, I just didn't want to take the risk. I am going to call the garage tomorrow.

I have the 59 plate A4 Avant, although it is the 2010 facelift; main difference being the LED rear lights and the stop/start function.

My 2.0TFSI uses more oil round town. I did a 1000 mile round trip to France over 3 days last year mainly motorways, and it used hardly any oil. Now my wife drives the car she does more round town driving and it uses more oil.

Miss Cat xxx

Check if it has had any oil issues and whether the engine has had any repairs.

My 2.0TFSI uses more oil round town. I did a 1000 mile round trip to France over 3 days last year mainly motorways, and it used hardly any oil. Now my wife drives the car she does more round town driving and it uses more oil.

I thought the same, but a few weeks ago I drove just over 100 motorway miles and had to top up.

Check if it has had any oil issues and whether the engine has had any repairs.

I thought the same, but a few weeks ago I drove just over 100 motorway miles and had to top up.

Was you accelerating hard and had high revs and low gears ?
If so it will use more oil.

Was you accelerating hard and had high revs and low gears ?
If so it will use more oil.

Not particularly, but I wasn't driving like Miss Daisy either! I need to get it done as soon as because I'm am driving to Scotland again in July for our family holiday where we usually clock up at least 2,000 miles....lots of oil!

I am reading these stories and can't believe what Audi have done here... Its unbelievable, its not like that engine is anything special or hiper advanced....600 miles one liter is more then badly well known BmW 5 liter engine
I am looking my self on b8 from e90 320 diesel but not sure I want to do that, lack of power on 143 HP engines just leaves 1 options 2.0 TDI 170 HP rest with big engines are out of my budget

I am reading these stories and can't believe what Audi have done here... Its unbelievable, its not like that engine is anything special or hiper advanced....600 miles one liter is more then badly well known BmW 5 liter engine
I am looking my self on b8 from e90 320 diesel but not sure I want to do that, lack of power on 143 HP engines just leaves 1 options 2.0 TDI 170 HP rest with big engines are out of my budget

3.0 tdi. There are some around for good prices

It is interesting to speculate whether this a design, production engineering or manufacturing fault. In any case the pistons that are the cause of all the trouble are probably bought in from outside supplier like Mahle or Federal Mogul.
This fault has caused the outer bore of the hole for the gudgeon pin to impinge microscopically into the groove for the oil control ring. Crankcase pressure causes oil to be blown past the oil control ring into the combustion chamber where it is burnt and emerges as an oily film over the back of the car. So simple to do and hey presto!, Audi has a minor disaster on its hands. Difficult to see on black car but very apparent when you come to wash it.

It is clear that not every car is affected - and my July 2011 build car is OK at 13,000 miles (Thank heavens!).

I suppose that if you are buying used (as I was) then an extended test drives with several blasts at high revs should be enough to coat the back of the car enough to tell whether there is a problem.
I suppose Audi's Stage 1 breather mod is an attempt to avoid stripping the engine if there is only a minor problem, but it would not surprise me if most then also need the Stage 2 "replace-pistons" mod.
I do feel for the unfortunate customers caught up in this.

I suppose it is sensible to buy used from an Audi dealer if you fancy a 2.0 TFSi.

Gonna go view a A4 2.0 TFSI quattro dynamik tomorrow!! wish me luck =)

Anything to mainly look out for?? :wub:

Noticed a few really nice 2.7tdi S-lines on Autotrader with nav etc, Epsom Audi has one, so years warranty.

Reactions: Miss Cat
Placed a deposit on a A4 quattro dynamik tfsi!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :p

Reactions: A4B8Sline, ScottishA4B9, mrose and 1 other person
Been offered an additional 2 years warranty on top of the one year free warranty I get with the car for £699...

This a good offer? Would u recommend me taking it??

Miss cat xxx

It will probably be an insurance policy against major driveline parts failing, not a bumper to bumper warranty like an original Audi 60k/3 year warranty.

£699 goes a long way towards a repair should you be very unlucky, plus you have the Sale of Goods Act which is free and gives you a lot of cover if you buy from a dealer :)

Been offered an additional 2 years warranty on top of the one year free warranty I get with the car for £699...

This a good offer? Would u recommend me taking it??

Miss cat xxx

Who's offering the warranty? Read the fine print very carefully. Nearly everything expensive that might go wrong will not be included - clutch, belts, braking system, a huge long list really. TBH I'd spend the £699 on good thorough servicing. Make good use of the 1 year free warranty to make sure everything is right.

I got myself a white dynamik =D

I think im opting out on the warranty...think i just run the first yr then decide what to do after it expires...

Ive been offered by the dealer that if i put the car on finance i get 2 services free of charge...anyone done this before?? wondering if its worth it?

I think im opting out on the warranty...think i just run the first yr then decide what to do after it expires...

Ive been offered by the dealer that if i put the car on finance i get 2 services free of charge...anyone done this before?? wondering if its worth it?

You need to work out whether the savings on the services will out weigh the extra cost of interest on the finance, if not then don't bother.

Incidentally I bought a Service Plan with my S4, the dealer is able to apply discounts there and then of up to 20%, which the very kind gentleman did for me. During the window of your active plan all MOT's are free and insurance from failure (MOT cover) is included (up to about £750 worth I think). So with the 20% discount and the saving on MOTs, over a 3 Service plan (about 5 years for me) it took my average service down from around £450 to around £270 - 40% / £180 off each service.

The plans are also transferrable to new owners (so you can get this added onto PX value when you sell to a dealer), transferrable to you new Audi (if you swap at a dealer) or refundable on the balance of the plan back as cash.

Bit of a no-brainer really.

You can also spread it over monthly payments so you don't notice.

May be worth thinking about, if you don't take their "2 free" offer.

When do you pick it up?

You need to work out whether the savings on the services will out weigh the extra cost of interest on the finance, if not then don't bother.

Incidentally I bought a Service Plan with my S4, the dealer is able to apply discounts there and then of up to 20%, which the very kind gentleman did for me. During the window of your active plan all MOT's are free and insurance from failure (MOT cover) is included (up to about £750 worth I think). So with the 20% discount and the saving on MOTs, over a 3 Service plan (about 5 years for me) it took my average service down from around £450 to around £270 - 40% / £180 off each service.

The plans are also transferrable to new owners (so you can get this added onto PX value when you sell to a dealer), transferrable to you new Audi (if you swap at a dealer) or refundable on the balance of the plan back as cash.

Bit of a no-brainer really.

You can also spread it over monthly payments so you don't notice.

May be worth thinking about, if you don't take their "2 free" offer.

When do you pick it up?

I am actually a cash buyer but the garage offered me the finance deal as he said it would save me some service costs...the setup of the finance will cost £175 and I intend to pay off the balance within the 1st month in order to obtain the 2 free services.......i believe 2 services are like £300 each?? so total of £600...subtract £175...total savings of £425?? think i am right with my costing hahahha

Miss Cat xxx

I am actually a cash buyer but the garage offered me the finance deal as he said it would save me some service costs...the setup of the finance will cost £175 and I intend to pay off the balance within the 1st month in order to obtain the 2 free services.......i believe 2 services are like £300 each?? so total of £600...subtract £175...total savings of £425?? think i am right with my costing hahahha

Miss Cat xxx

:) just check what they will charge you for paying the finance off early. There may be 1 months interest plus an admin fee.

See here also:

Fixed price services < Servicing and MOT < Owners Area < Audi

Applies to 3+ year old cars with 2.0 or less, which would apply to you. The "2" service you may get may be an interim and major, which would be £468, so the benefits may not be so big.

Also, here:

Audi service plans: existing vehicles < Audi service plans < Warranties, service plans and insurance < Owners Area < Audi

This shows that a 2 service cover plan is only £299.....so you need to check what "service" you would be covered for

Last edited:

Sharks!

Boy, they're giving it the hard sell. Nothing is FOC. They don't give away free stuff…unless it looks cheap but costs the customer more in the long run. with finance sometimes a lot more.

The value of the 'FOC' servicing is worth a fraction of the money they can cream off you in interest or early exit penalties. A cash deal is profit and fully taxable. Finance is an operational cost, deductible, and expensive to buy under. Not only will you be paying more for buying the car, they will be paying less for selling it at a profit.

They're taking the p**s IMHO. It makes me mad to hear that after selling the car at the price offered and agreed these sharks are trying to up the price by stealth.

Audi are doing a fixed price 2 service plan for £299 right now and they are offering to price match on any indie service quote that uses genuine Audi parts:

Audi service plans: existing vehicles < Audi service plans < Warranties, service plans and insurance < Owners Area < Audi

Go back and tell this Del Boy that you know that an outright purchase is way less lucrative to him than a finance deal…but that's not your problem. You have cash and wan't a car, he has a car and want's your cash. Remind him so does every other car salesman. Ask him if he'd rather the car sat on the forecourt for a couple more months till he price drops it £500? Tell him you'd be happy to pay upfront and drive away today for a price cut of only £299 (to cover the Audi 2 x service plan) or you and your money might just walk away to look for the next available similar spec car. Tell him you've just saved him £201 and two months operational costs on keeping the car on the forecourt. See what he says next, and don't speak first. Make him speak first and leave him plenty of time to fill the silence, don't answer any questions. Say nothing at all - just wait until he runs out off ******** to say. Eventually he'll cave in. If he doesn't you've still got a nice car at the price you originally agreed but you gave it fair shot to turn a bargain. You've got nothing to loose and a couple of free proper Audi services to gain.

That's how to kill a shark.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Sharks!

Boy, they're giving it the hard sell. Nothing is FOC. They don't give away free stuff…unless it looks cheap but costs the customer more in the long run. with finance sometimes a lot more.

The value of the 'FOC' servicing is worth a fraction of the money they can cream off you in interest or early exit penalties. A cash deal is profit and fully taxable. Finance is an operational cost, deductible, and expensive to buy under. Not only will you be paying more for buying the car, they will be paying less for selling it at a profit.

They're taking the p**s IMHO. It makes me mad to hear that after selling the car at the price offered and agreed these sharks are trying to up the price by stealth.

Audi are doing a fixed price 2 service plan for £299 right now and they are offering to price match on any indie service quote that uses genuine Audi parts:

Go back and tell this Del Boy that you know that an outright purchase is way less lucrative to him than a finance deal…but that's not your problem. You have cash and wan't a car, he has a car and want's your cash. Remind him so does every other car salesman. Ask him if he'd rather the car sat on the forecourt for a couple more months till he price drops it £500? Tell him you'd be happy to pay upfront and drive away today for a price cut of only £299 (to cover the Audi 2 x service plan) or you and your money might just walk away to look for the next available similar spec car. Tell him you've just saved him £201 and two months operational costs on keeping the car on the forecourt. See what he says next, and don't speak first. Make him speak first and leave him plenty of time to fill the silence, don't answer any questions. Say nothing at all - just wait until he runs out off ******** to say. Eventually he'll cave in. If he doesn't you've still got a nice car at the price you originally agreed but you gave it fair shot to turn a bargain. You've got nothing to loose and a couple of free proper Audi services to gain.

That's how to kill a shark.

Of course all that should have been said before he had your deposit. Just remember he has your deposit already so absolutely everything he offers you now is in his interests entirely and is an attempt to increase the price.

Check out exactly what the free service covers as I took out Audi Finance on my car last year and got 2 free services. When it was due it's service in Feb my "free" service cost me £122!!!!! The oil and fuel filter it needed are classed as maintenance items not service items so it's basically a free oil change and inspection.

Sorry rant over, love the car but haven't been impressed with Audi customer service.

mrose - in fairness the guy did tell me he would actually get more commission from the finance deal but said the 2 free service would only be beneficial for me if take it...pay the £175 fee...then pay off the loan in the first month...i will then make a saving of about £300 he said...but he told me it is hassle so the choice was up to me! But he never offered me this decent deal for £299.00...I will query this with him and see what he says!!!

Benno69 - what car do u have? sucks about the deal u got! i think im leaning to just a cash purchase and walk away with the car.

On a side note to all - when buying AUC, do Audi ensure the service book is uptodate before they exchange?? i.e. they will carry out a service if it is outstanding during the sales process.

With an Audi Assured Used car, it should be serviced up to date, ie though not serviced again to sell. These cars should come with 3-off keys, 2-off full function keys and 1-off emergency small plastic key, check that you are getting all 3-off keys, if only 2-off exist make sure they have deleted the third key from that car so that the missing key is made useless. The car can be interrogated by the sales person to see/prove if the number of keys supplied to you matches the number of keys originally assigned to that car.

You should also get a report of all work that is done regarding the 145 point check. Highlighting any issues that were found and what they did to remedy. Mine pointed out 2 front tyres had damaged side walls and both fronts were replaced with new conti's to match the rears (quatro's have to have 4 tyres the same make, depth and tread pattern). So I could see that they had put £500 of rubber on. It's nice to be able to check what repairs they have made.

Also, check the paintwork for big scratches etc. Used you can expect the usual minor stuff and stone chips but anything significant should be taken car of before you buy it, as part of the exterior checks.

You also get a year bumper to bumper warrenty, MOT protection and Key cover.

With an Audi Assured Used car, it should be serviced up to date, ie though not serviced again to sell. These cars should come with 3-off keys, 2-off full function keys and 1-off emergency small plastic key, check that you are getting all 3-off keys, if only 2-off exist make sure they have deleted the third key from that car so that the missing key is made useless. The car can be interrogated by the sales person to see/prove if the number of keys supplied to you matches the number of keys originally assigned to that car.

Thanks for that! i will speak to the garage and see what they have to say! =D

You should also get a report of all work that is done regarding the 145 point check. Highlighting any issues that were found and what they did to remedy. Mine pointed out 2 front tyres had damaged side walls and both fronts were replaced with new conti's to match the rears (quatro's have to have 4 tyres the same make, depth and tread pattern). So I could see that they had put £500 of rubber on. It's nice to be able to check what repairs they have made.

Also, check the paintwork for big scratches etc. Used you can expect the usual minor stuff and stone chips but anything significant should be taken car of before you buy it, as part of the exterior checks.

You also get a year bumper to bumper warrenty, MOT protection and Key cover.

The car is going into the bodyshop this friday for the works to be done so fingers x it all comes out nice and sparkly!!

I will also request for the report so i know what has been checked and done to fix it etc etc !

Thanks everyone!!

Silly question...but is it worth me doing a HPI check?? .... maybe i should have considered this before i put a deposit down...but i was assured AUC are never CAT cars!

Don't bother. AUC are all fully background checked and you also get a report on:

The vehicle's engine and chassis number records
The date of first registration is correct
The vehicle is free from outstanding finance charges
The vehicle has not been stolen
The vehicle has not been written off
Whether the vehicle has had a number plate change
Independent mileage check
Full Service History check

Don't bother. AUC are all fully background checked and you also get a report on:

The vehicle's engine and chassis number records
The date of first registration is correct
The vehicle is free from outstanding finance charges
The vehicle has not been stolen
The vehicle has not been written off
Whether the vehicle has had a number plate change
Independent mileage check
Full Service History check

Just found the same thing on the Audi website =D

mrose - in fairness the guy did tell me he would actually get more commission from the finance deal but said the 2 free service would only be beneficial for me if take it...pay the £175 fee...then pay off the loan in the first month...i will then make a saving of about £300 he said...but he told me it is hassle so the choice was up to me! But he never offered me this decent deal for £299.00...I will query this with him and see what he says!!!

Benno69 - what car do u have? sucks about the deal u got! i think im leaning to just a cash purchase and walk away with the car.

On a side note to all - when buying AUC, do Audi ensure the service book is uptodate before they exchange?? i.e. they will carry out a service if it is outstanding during the sales process.

I've a 3.0tdi s-line Quattro, didn't want to loose too much performance but wanted better economy than the Impreza I had before and this fit the bill plus it's so comfy!!!!

Nice looking car the Dynamik, enjoy it when you get it.

I wouldn't bother with a HPI to be fair as it is very rare you get a dodgey car sold by Audi, i only know of one case where an S3 was sold by Audi which had been clocked.

With regard to bodywork, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned, but the rear part of the front wheel arches - check, notorious places for flaking paint due to road matter. Audi don't cover this on their paintwork warranty as it's not a design fault... but they have added a little bit of plastic to the wheel arches to the 2012+ A4s!