1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting my header unit out

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ben, Jul 2, 2003.

1. ben

ben New Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    I'm having big problems with my Concert header unit so I want to pull it out and have a bash at fixing it or stick a new one in. But, I cant work out how to remove it from the dash, is there a special tool to remove them? do I have to go to the dealer? any tricks to get it out with minimum fuss?
    Also when accelerating hard my CD changer stops working and I get 'NO CD' appear on the display. Anyone know what the problem is here?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 2, 2003]
    Yes you do need special tools... Cost a couple of ££ from your dealer...

Not sure wots up with your changer... ESP mechanism gone?

Rich
  4. CARACTERE007

CARACTERE007 Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    if they are anything like my dealer, they wont sell em to ya (the keys) to remove the headunit,...you'll have to maybe ask nicely and they'll take it for free......cd jumps?...are you using copied cd's?..cos they alwys jump?
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    They wouldn't sell them to you because you turned up in an XR2 wid de bitches in de back and looking like a crook, so they preferred that the Audi stereos stayed in the cars they belonged in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  6. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    Sorry couldn't resist that one, especially as you always bring it up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif
  7. CARACTERE007

CARACTERE007 Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    lol..dude!....yeah me had me bling bling gansta bitches in the car, ...in me burberry cap, and hilfiger kicks,..i was down with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif....
  8. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    caractere 007 said:
    lol..dude!....yeah me had me bling bling gansta bitches in the car, ...in me burberry cap, and hilfiger kicks,..i was down with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man to dis you like that, not mentioning your Burberry cap, hillfigerkicks and your bling bling was so direspectful. How would anybody been able to distinguish you from the rst of the ghetto!
  9. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    I must be out of touch - There was no word in that sentance that caractere007 said that I understood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Back to "On post" mode - I personally wouldn't bother, it sounds like the bootchanger has a problem and it connects to a cable in the boot. If not I've a spare Concert head unit I keep meaning to sell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  10. S3_quattro

S3_quattro New Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    U can get the head unit out by buying sum clips from halfords for around £7.00.
    the clips will be flat with a little hock on the end. I looked every where for them and found them at halfords.
  11. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

[Jul 2, 2003]
    You can buy the keys off ebay for about £7.00, search for Audi and you should find them.

I removed my concert head unit with the use of a pair of nail cutters. You need a thin flat blade (knifes are too big, hence the nail file bit from a set of cutters).

Insert into one of the slots at the base of the unit and pull away from the centre of the unit whilst pulling on the tape slot, when it moves do the other one...

I'm a tight git so I did it this way, takes a little practice but can be done.

Kev.
  12. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 2, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kevint said:
    You can buy the keys off ebay for about £7.00, search for Audi and you should find them.

I removed my concert head unit with the use of a pair of nail cutters. You need a thin flat blade (knifes are too big, hence the nail file bit from a set of cutters).

Insert into one of the slots at the base of the unit and pull away from the centre of the unit whilst pulling on the tape slot, when it moves do the other one...

I'm a tight git so I did it this way, takes a little practice but can be done.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the opther hand u COULD just go to audi - got mine for £5 from the dealer.

Rich
  13. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

[Jul 4, 2003]
    Jigsaw blades... good idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  14. CARACTERE007

CARACTERE007 Member

[Jul 4, 2003]
    lol!..dude.....you must be mr B&Q!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
  15. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 4, 2003]
    how did you guess?
  16. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jul 4, 2003]
    I'm lucky, my bro is the manager of a car accessory shop so he has keys for all types. That said, I have a kenwood MP3 player but I'm now an expert - I can have the stereo and center console out in seconds. Just altered my hands free mobile phone holder to take my Nokia 8310 not the 6*** series. Took half the dash apart to get at all the wires though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Handy my other brother works for a Saab dealer and gets these things for nothing out of trade-ins.