1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GETTING DEALERS TO MATCH INTERNET PRICES .

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by shilts, Feb 13, 2010.

1. shilts

shilts Member

[Feb 13, 2010]
    Hi , i was just wondering how much success people have had in getting dealers to match internet prices , thanks .
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. danA3T

danA3T Member

[Feb 13, 2010]
    I had no luck at all from giving six stealers the hard haggle. Four local around West Yorks to the furthest away in Essex. I was routinely told that it was way outside their possible discount structure and anyone offering that price would soon be out of business. I got hooked up with a dealer who's handled the deal, given me scrappage and I've got an April build date. Got approx 11 % discount in total, happy days.

I will say I was dubious that the Internet was too good to be true as it's a bit cloak and dagger to begin with (as they keep the deal details to themselves to protect their commission), put the deposit on the credit card to give me sone more protection and job done. Would do it again next time I have the readies (likely sometime 2020 after this one...)

proved to me how much markup dealers actually make, it seems
  4. a3rick

a3rick The Ibis

[Feb 13, 2010]
    I had success with my local and first Audi dealership, with a similar outcome as DanA3T(discount wise) except I had a trade in that needed a bit more hard bargaining. I think as long as you can back up an internet price with a hard copy quote, also use the line of it looks bad to see so many non local registrations in their forecourt if they dig their heels in, and finally be prepared to compromise a little if you can. I agreed that I would take an already built car but ended up with factory order for delivery in April, so I ended up with everything I wanted...result.
  5. Quietlife

Quietlife Member

[Feb 13, 2010]
    11% is the margin dealers have on a new Audi. You're doing very well if you get all of it.
  6. a3rick

a3rick The Ibis

[Feb 13, 2010]
    general rule of thumb is approx 7% but if you dont ask you dont get
  7. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Feb 13, 2010]
    Not true, they have around 15% if not more. I got 12% off mine.
  8. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

[Feb 13, 2010]
    The discount varies hugely on the model too. New and in demand models have less of a margin but run outs can normally be discounted a lot more.
  9. danA3T

danA3T Member

[Feb 14, 2010]
    My local stealer, not naming names of course -- was awful at trying to get a discount out of them. I think that my age and that I *dared* to ask for a discount off "such an in-demand model" was ridiculous. Tbh, I hate dealing with them at the best of times as they've made a right pigs ear of most things ever asked of them (by myself and several others I know around here). The advantage to them is that I can be there in five minutes.

But the hefty discount is gonna be worth the 170 mile drive to collect my new motor....
  10. s3forthemrs

s3forthemrs Member

[Feb 14, 2010]
    I ordered an S3 from a dealer in London last week and got around 8% off. It took a bit of haggling and we were in the dealership for around 4 hours... I had only planned to go on a test drive with the mrs to see if she liked it! She really liked it so we decided to talk numbers. I already had a number in my head when we walked into the dealership and I really had expected to have to find another dealer in order to play them off each other, but we got down to a nice round number and the deal was done! Now just need to sit back and wait for April.
  11. 4NT

4NT Terminal Douche Bag!

[Feb 14, 2010]
    As with above in most cases, varies model to model and Audi campaigns that are running at the time. I worked for Audi dealerships for a while and there's plenty of variance. Do some shiopping make some phonecalls and be up front, i.e. I have this price in mind, I'm a serious buyer and I will do a deal if you can do the price. A good time to buy is the end of the weekend or towards the end of the month, also if you use the dealer in your postcode area they will be keen to do a deal (or should be).

There's a LOT of useless sales staff in these dealers these days so sometimes it's just luck who you get stuck with....:detective2:
  12. shilts

shilts Member

[Feb 14, 2010]
    Thanks guy's , i'm thinking of a sportback 1.6Tdi sport with options which is a new engine so perhaps the deal will be not so good . But it's very interesting to read your experiences and the discounts seem to vary considerably . End of the month seems to keep cropping up so this will be worth bearing in mind . Some of the discounts you have been getting seem really good but would have to go some to match the best internet prices , however i would sacrifice a couple of hundred pounds or so to get it from 'up the road'. Cheers .
  13. danA3T

danA3T Member

[Feb 14, 2010]
    The other point to note is that I wanted to cash in on scrappage for my old 8L so didn't want to loose the opportunity, as it happens I got a better than advertised deal with £2k scrappage on top
  14. Quietlife

Quietlife Member

[Feb 15, 2010]
    End of the quarter is the best time.