1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a good start with 4wd

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by BrianA4, May 13, 2003.

1. marctwo

marctwo Member

[Aug 19, 2004]
    I'm thinking about going to Santa Pod with a couple of mates. On the Run What You Brung website it mentions that you should attempt a burnout to warm your tires, although you should not do this in a 4wd car. I understand that this could do some damage if you tried it so my question is:

What's the best way to get off the line quickly without doing any damage to the car?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. Stuart_A3_Turbo

Stuart_A3_Turbo Member

[Aug 19, 2004]
    Not 4wd i know, but ive always found dartford tolls a nice way of practising starts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It will take you a while to get it perfect mate, whats good for one person isnt for another. Just keep the revs to a sensible limit when waiting to launch, you dont want a fried clutch now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  4. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Aug 20, 2004]
    I have never been able to wheel spin my car before.......the haldex unit prevents this from happening.

The best way to launch from a start (but do not do it too often) is to lightly rev the car upto 2000 revs to get the turbo upto speed at idle with 1st gear selected, and then on the green light drop the clutch and punch the juice pedal in balance and see will fly.

The first time I did this I had a grin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif on my face for hours in my S3.
  5. StephaneS

StephaneS Member

[Aug 20, 2004]
    Glazed the clutch on my astra turbo and it smelt bad for 2 weeks!!!
    It was so bad I had to lie to the gf and said it was some loose plastic from the road that got caught on the radiator fins.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif
  6. ANDYTQ

ANDYTQ Active Member

[Aug 20, 2004]
    Its easier to light up rears,without the esp,t/c etc thats on the S3's,you can get the tailout no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy
  7. leespears1

leespears1 Member

[Aug 20, 2004]
    find a wet big open car park and practise those power slides! AMAZING!!
  8. BrianA4

BrianA4 New Member

[May 13, 2003]
    Thanks!
  9. SteveS3

SteveS3 New Member

[May 13, 2003]
    When you buy a TMC enabled disc, all you are buying is a right to use the TMC system - there is nothing special on TMC discs other than a code that tells the nav system to enable TMC.

Neil.