Gears

Wozski

Reaction score
Ok my gears feel as if they are dragging when i select different gears - shouldnt it be a smooth transition into gears?
What could be the problem? Cheap fix or ££££

manual or auto?

What do you mean by dragging? the lever or like the clutch isnt disengaging quick enough?

I find that my 2nd gear is snatchy but gets much better once the car is warm and has been driven for a while. Is there any adjustment of the gear selector or link cables that can be done or is it more likely to be a syncro problem ?

i got my 8p model and to be fair it seems to be better when the car is warmer - manual gear btw

Along with a good oil change, setting the gear linkages correctly will transform your car.
There is a how to video on you tube or search my previous posts searching dieselgeek transmission should bring you close.

I've done it to a few cars now and it's always made them feel new again

Thanks for that great video. I have tried it out and it feels slightly better. I managed to loose a small nail that I inserted into the locking hole, any ideas how I can get it out as can't see it or shall I just leave it ? Doesn't appear to affect gear changes.
Trying to select reverse gear now is quite notchy though, think that is to do with adjustment and not the nail as leaver will move freely when I release the cable ends on the gearbox end. Any ideas ?
Thanks

how'd you loose the nail??? LOL. I guess as long as its clear of the linkage the worst you will get is a rattle. How snug was the nail you used?

It was too short and just slipped through my fingers lol. The nail I used in the end was quite snug in the hole. Is it me or when you lock the gear leaver in place it is more to the left than being centred ?
Do you think the reverse problem is just an adjustment problem ?

I just used a drill bit to get an accurate alignment. If you have notchy reverse then you need to do it again.
I always pull the cables towards the clamp when i release them.

yeah I think it was better before I did the adjustment, I will try adjusting it again tomorrow and let you know. Aham_uk, when you say you always pull the cables towards the clamp when you release them, can I confirm that you mean before you twist and release the spring on the end of the cables that connect to the gearbox end you pull the cable towards the twist spring mechanism and then release ? Would this make the cable tighter with less slack ?
thanks

Have re-adjusted it again and now reverse is a bit better, might try it again another time ? This procedure is for taking slack out of the cables or is it actually adjusting something in the gearbox or gear leaver end ?
Also on the gearbox there is a black bung/cap what is under there or what is it used for ? Can you top the gearbox oil through there or should you use the proper fill hole on the side of the box ?
Thanks

Dont go putting oil in holes you dont know about, just get the oil changed when you can.

The cable tensioners just align the gear stick to the gearbox, nothing more.

I found a post on another site that shows the gear linkage adjustment and then at the bottom of the instructions mentions there should be 1mm of travel on the selector shaft when you put it in first gear to the stop and then release the lever and if not to adjust it but then there is no link to instructions for adjusting the selector shaft. Does anyone know anything about how you adjust the selector shaft on the gearbox or if it is even possible as the more I drive the car the more I think that it just doesn't get the gear selection quite right as it does not do it all the time like it would if a syncro was gone ?
Would a gearbox additive help ?
thanks