Gearbox?

daimondsilver

Reaction score
Hi all.

Im considering a cheap runaround for my girlfriend. Its an Audi A4 19tdi. The guy selling it has trouble engaging gears.

Sometimes the gears are a little difficult to engage first and second and occasionally there is a very faint noise engaging fifth, it does not jump out of any gear and there is no whining or grumbling from gearbox it drives very smoothly. It has always been like this and on a car this age i feel it is hardly worth investigating. In the last two weeks i have travelled to portree on the isle of skye which is a round trip of over 300 miles with no problems and am confident the car would go many more thousands of miles no problem but i thought i better mention it.

please note today whilst using the car it stuck in first gear and took a considerable effort to get it back in to neutral after this it was fine and i drove for about 20 miles with no problem.
i am concerned the gearbox is getting worse i am not a mechanic so it might be the box or it might be the clutch however due to this i am now selling the car as spares or repair .
the car is still driveable but i would advise any bidders to be mindfull of the fact that it is now spares or re
pair

Id like to see if you guys knew what this may be. Might it be the box needs rebuilt and if so does the engine need to be out. Ive heard the engine is mounted longways.

Cheers

Ive asked the man and he says it has. He's also changed the wording in the add to " spares or repair".

I still would go with slave cylinder / bleeding on the clutch.

The gearboxes tend to go well and last for a while just with crunching between gears, rather than a catastorphic failiures

Edit, the box will drop without removing the engine