1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox Repaired!

Joshie Jan 9, 2003

1. Joshie

Joshie Member

So after exactly one callendar moth without my car I get it back today after having had the gearbox comletely overhauled.

Martyn at VAG parts helped me out enormously both by liaising with Herts and Beds Transmissions directly when I was abroad and then offering me fantastic prices on the replacement parts. Thanks again Martyn.

And the cost?

£688 labour including collecting the car from my home, taking the gearbox out, rebuilding it and then returning the car to me on a transporter.

Parts were a new input shaft (the big, expensive one!), change gear on 1st and synchro rings, pinion bearings - cost c £660.

Total cost £1350 - much less than I was expecting although of course an expensive way to enjoy yourself (repeated standing starts at Elvington and Santa Pod was the cause - won't be doing that again) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My box now has an 18 month warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Happy, happy, happy

2. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

Thought elvington might have been the cause. Expensive fun eh?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You did nail it every time though, becoming the fastest bloke on a-s.net in the process!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AL

3. Joshie

Joshie Member

Thats right - expensive fun and I did post some pretty quick times, eh Al. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif But I wont be defending my record in the future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Trackdays only but I would go along to SP just to see everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. toasty

toasty Member

What sort of times were you getting then??

I'd imagine a standard S4 would do about 14s @ 100mph.

5. Joshie

Joshie Member

Best time was a 12.3 S standing quarter - in the wet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

6. biturbo

biturbo Member

Does the box feel as good as before?

7. Joshie

Joshie Member

Hi Paul,

Just got back from Manchester. It feels a bit tighter - like a new box. I guess it'll loosen up when i get some miles on it. Otherwise no catching and no npoise. They did a good job.

Can you remember what yours was like after it was reconditioned?

8. biturbo

biturbo Member

I had a new one under warranty [£6k job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif]....... and felt like new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Joshie

Joshie Member

Well I guess it wouold do!! being new and all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Bazza

Bazza Member

he he I remember getting a new box under warranty on my RS4 the price for the box was £10250 plus vat !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
    thank gawd it was done under warranty!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif