1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox Repaired!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Joshie, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Joshie

Joshie Member

[Jan 9, 2003]
    So after exactly one callendar moth without my car I get it back today after having had the gearbox comletely overhauled.

Martyn at VAG parts helped me out enormously both by liaising with Herts and Beds Transmissions directly when I was abroad and then offering me fantastic prices on the replacement parts. Thanks again Martyn.

And the cost?

£688 labour including collecting the car from my home, taking the gearbox out, rebuilding it and then returning the car to me on a transporter.

Parts were a new input shaft (the big, expensive one!), change gear on 1st and synchro rings, pinion bearings - cost c £660.

Total cost £1350 - much less than I was expecting although of course an expensive way to enjoy yourself (repeated standing starts at Elvington and Santa Pod was the cause - won't be doing that again) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My box now has an 18 month warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Happy, happy, happy

2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Jan 9, 2003]
    Thought elvington might have been the cause. Expensive fun eh?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You did nail it every time though, becoming the fastest bloke on a-s.net in the process!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AL
  4. Joshie

Joshie Member

[Jan 9, 2003]
    Thats right - expensive fun and I did post some pretty quick times, eh Al. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif But I wont be defending my record in the future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Trackdays only but I would go along to SP just to see everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  5. toasty

toasty Member

[Jan 9, 2003]
    What sort of times were you getting then??

I'd imagine a standard S4 would do about 14s @ 100mph.
  6. Joshie

Joshie Member

[Jan 9, 2003]
    Best time was a 12.3 S standing quarter - in the wet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
  7. biturbo

biturbo Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    Does the box feel as good as before?
  8. Joshie

Joshie Member

[Jan 10, 2003]
    Hi Paul,

Just got back from Manchester. It feels a bit tighter - like a new box. I guess it'll loosen up when i get some miles on it. Otherwise no catching and no npoise. They did a good job.

Can you remember what yours was like after it was reconditioned?
  9. biturbo

biturbo Member

[Jan 12, 2003]
    I had a new one under warranty [£6k job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif]....... and felt like new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  10. Joshie

Joshie Member

[Jan 12, 2003]
    Well I guess it wouold do!! being new and all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  11. Bazza

Bazza Member

[Feb 13, 2003]
    he he I remember getting a new box under warranty on my RS4 the price for the box was £10250 plus vat !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
    thank gawd it was done under warranty!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif