1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox removal

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by smo, May 9, 2009.

1. smo

smo TDi Power

How do you do this on a TDi, ive removed everything i need to, its all unbolted and i can get it off the splines however it doesnt come out, it gets jammed between the output flange on the flywheel and the casing on the subframe.

I've spent 2 hours with a mate levering, jacking, lowering, hoiking and abusing the gearbox buit it simply doesnt fit out the hole - please help!
  2. rusty s3

rusty s3 Member

you might have to remove the subframe?
  3. h100vw

h100vw Member

If its fwd, I usually rotate them anti-clockwise to get the driverside flange to the top.

Then with the engine pretty much as low in the bay as it will go, pivot the box up towards 2-3 o'clock when looking in from the arch.

Un-hook the flange off the back of the engine and it comes out then. They are tight mind.

A lot of folk in the States remove the driver-side flange and I can see that it would make the job dead easy. You then have to contend with the oil spills and re-fitting the flange.

Gavin
  4. smo

smo TDi Power

Managed to get it out this evening, however with that much grief (and resultant damage to other componants) i dont wish to put the replacement in!!