Gearbox & Rear Diff

Nitro

Reaction score
My 2,8Q has covered 117000 miles with full history, but I can't see if the gearbox oil or rear diff oil has ever been changed. Should I change it and if so what grade oils are required?
Thanks

Link here for the rear diff. AudiWorld Tech Articles

I did mine at 110k. Audi service don't have it as part of the service schedule - so don't be surprised if they stare at you blankly! Meant to be sealed for life units... but if you plan on keeping the car for another 100k I think it's worth doing. The oil on my rear diff came out like coffee.

Plan on getting the transmission oil done during the summer as I've done 132k and plan on keeping the quattro for as long as I can. Link here for 5-speed box (US). B5 5 spd tranny fluid change by Sandman - AudiForums.com

definatly worth changing. tiny bits of metal from the odd crunched gears, tho if i remenmber right, these have magnets in the drain bungs to catch stray bits. condensation within the box clouding the oil...... if it hasnt been done by 100k or 10 years, get it done!

^^^ that's what I'm going for currently in my watch list till payday arrives lol

The shell helix racing stuff is around £70 for gear oil that's ridiculous in my eyes unless its mixed with gold then it's a fair price lol

Is the gearbox oil, the same oil the torsen center diff runs in. Or is the Torsen a seperates sealed unit.

Thanks for all the info guys, can you tell me where i can get the tool for the plugs,

Rear diff is just a 10mm hex.

Gearbox has a 17mm hex for the fill plug, and a special security spline thing for the drain plug that you'll need to get from ebay or your local tool supplier.