Gearbox question

jayfrts

bouncing off the limiter!!!!
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if you can do anything to tighten up the gear changing on a 97 A3 1.8TS please.

Starting to feel like a Ford gearbox lately!

u know what, I don't like the S3 gear box either, compared with the V6 4moition box it feels soo mcuh clunkier, whereas the V6 feels sold and tight. Sorry for not being a help, just noticed a lack of performance from the gearbox latley

i was told by audi that the gearboxes are sealed for life and you cannot change the oil! shows what they know then eh!

Olly_K said:
shortshift kit ?

That might actually amplify the notchiness of the shift.

Although it's not something I've tried myself, there's been a few people on here that have changed the gearbox oil and stated that its made a huge difference.

sealed unit tends to mean you dont need to change the oil as its a lifetime oil but you can usually still do it.

I have a 520g shiftknob and it makes driving a lot nicer. the weight is great for combatting the notchyness.

pablo said:
sealed unit tends to mean you dont need to change the oil as its a lifetime oil but you can usually still do it.

I have a 520g shiftknob and it makes driving a lot nicer. the weight is great for combatting the notchyness.

Any more info on that fella??

I was told you could replace the gearbox bushes etc (but this THINKS he's a mechanic! :? ) but i'm not so sure................ Just one of them annoying problems with the missus car, which is a shame as its the ONLY thing that lets the drive down for me.