Gearbox problem

bobby789

Reaction score
Good morning all,

i bought my audi about a month ago now and the guy i bought it off said there was a whining noise coming from the gearbox (glad he was so upfront about it) since i had the car i had no problems with it, so 2-3 weeks pass no problems with the car at all, then all of a sudden while driving i get a sort of grinding noise coming from the gearbox while the car is moving and my foot is off the accelerator,

now the first thing i checked was the gearbox oil i jacked the car up undone the nut and left the car for about 15 minutes with a tray underneath and about 3 drips of oil came out so obviously the noise was from where the gearbox had been run dry...

so my problem is now i'm guessing i need a new gearbox i have put the correct oil in the gearbox still the same noise no improvement whatsoever.

so my main question is, obviously checking the gearbox code would it be possible to put a 1.8 (non turbo gearbox) into my 1.6 would the only different be the ratios may be higher? also thinking if i put a bigger gearbox in it would be more durable? i also have 18inch alloys on my car so obviously that doesnt help with the gearbox strain (more rotations dont really understand that part)

Is there anything i can do to save the old gearbox as the car has only done 80k seems a waste that it has been run dry

any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Rob

They'll all be 02J boxes but you'll wanna check the ratio codes/ratios... Not sure but I'd imagine a 1.6 and 1.8na should have similar ratios but deffo worth doing a bit of research there first.

Also, I know on the 1.8t gear boxes there was a change in flange size around 2000/2001 form 110mm to 108mm.... Will probably be the same on other 02J boxes as well

Hope that helps a little!

Cheers mate you're a star, im going to try and sort a 1.8 gearbox in as it will be a little better i hope..

mines w reg 2000 so i'd have to check up on the flange sizes, but thanks for the info!

A 1.8 box is not gonna be any "better"... The only real difference internally might potentially be longer rations which you won't want on a 1.6, would struggle to get anywhere!

Glad I could help tho and good luck, you always need it with these things!