Gearbox Problem - Urgent !

bench33

Reaction score
Driving home tonight, and suddenly was unable to put the car into 1st gear, 2nd gear is pretty hard to get too. All the other gears work, although a bit stiff, and the car pulls normally in all gears, without the clutch slipping etc, and is normal in all other areas to drive.

Does anyone have nay ideas as to why 1st and second have become literally impossible to engage ? Can't really drive the car at the minute, although I luckily got it home.

Thanks very much,

Alex

had a car once that had an engine mount fail that caused this, have you had a look under the bonnet? does the gear lever move when you accelerated and slowed down.if not other possibilities are the linkage or lever fixing. or at worst the gears themselfs.

Hmm, gearknob did move when accelerating, especially in 5th. Is that a relatively easy fix ? Hoping it's not the clutch as it seems to pull fine when in gear, although a new clutch might be the perfect opportunity for a remap ...

I would tend to agree with quattrojames, Does it feel as though 3rd and 4th feel more towards where 1st and 2nd should be when selecting gears. Well its an under the car job thats for sure.

Can't say I've noticed any real change in position in 3/4, feels like i really have to pull to the left to get 2nd though, but maybe that's just a result of it being so stiff. Tried to drive it before just down the road and I can now just about force it into one, as if something has freed up; so hopefully won;t be the clutch itself

I wouldn't have thought its the clutch it would grind gears or slip when driving. May be something silly. But it sounds like something to do with the linkage.I hope its an easy fix for you.
I wouldn't drive it to much just incase its something more sinister until you know whats going on.