1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox oil questions ?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by audilad9, May 21, 2013.

1. audilad9

audilad9 Member

Hi all, I'm going to change my gearbox oil and rear diff oil on my 04 1.9 q.
    My gearbox code is FYC.
    Audi tell me that theres many different oils for different gearbox codes and wont give away details of whats realy needed !! :scared2:

I believe I need 2.5 litres for box and 1.5 litres for rear diff. Can anyone confirm this ?
    Audi want £47.52 for 3 litres of gear oil and £34.75 for the 1.5 litres of diff oil. A total of £82 for about a gallon of oil seems steep.
    I realise the correct grades are required and will likely just have to stump up as its the transmissions insurance and therefore worth it, but is anyone out there using alternative oils in their transmission that are possibly a bit easier on the wallet but meet the required spec ?

Do people think the prices I have been quoted are fair enough ?

Any info appreciated, thanks.
  2. Andie0

Andie0 Member

Speaking with others i am led to believe that if you put anything other than audi specific oil in the gearbox and diff that they do not perform as well! May be worth the dosh
    audilad9 likes this.
  3. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member

I run Fuchs Sintofluid 75w-80 in my 6-sp manual gearbox and Fuchs Sintopoid 75w-85 in the rear diff.
    Been in there over a year now with no issues.
    oilman and audilad9 like this.
  4. oilman

oilman Member

audilad9 likes this.
  5. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

to be honest thats a bit ****
    the dealer should at least be informing you what type of oil and the code number it is which is in your diff and gearbox
    in all honesty i would ring another dealer

that said i used genuine audi gearbox oil as the only other stuff i could find is only available in the states and by the time id shipped it across it was the same price as the genuine (mines a tiptronic s4)
    for the rear diff the americans swear by motul 300 sae75w90 so thats exactly what i put in about 18 months ago and its been superb
    audilad9 likes this.
  6. audilad9

audilad9 Member

Thanks for all replies and help. I looked at the fuchs oil on ebay, but they wont deliver to where I am, which is annoying as its mainland UK and not remote.
    Anyway I will enquire as to whether Opie oils can deliver, they look good, thanks Tim.
    Looking at the motul300 for diff, thanks dualmono21.
    Has anyone noticed any improvement in gearchange with alternative brand oils ?

Yes, the dealer was rather unhelpful on this although they did confirm my gearbox code and check as to what oils were required, they just would not tell me, they even said they get asked at least several times a week for oil codes/compatibility and dont give out this information ! This and the profit on lubricants etc is why I would be keen to try another brand thats cheaper if possible.
  7. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

ask for the part number for what they are going to supply ...
    as YOU would like to confirm it is the correct specification for your vehicle

then google it and find the equiavalent specification
    audilad9 likes this.