1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gearbox noise

raver100 Oct 11, 2009

1. raver100

raver100 Member

hi
    i have replaced the gerabox in my 1998 quattro and first gear is noisey could this have anything to do with incorrect linkage alignment, i personally do not think so but the guy i brought it off says it was fine for him?

2. yendall24

yendall24 Member

is it like a rasping / fast ticking noise when you take up drive in first then disapears when you press the clutch and select second if so you have a chipped tooth on first gear was it a recon box or second hand there is plenty of info on the net about this problem

3. raver100

raver100 Member

it was a second hand box and yes it's like a rasping sound, the pitch gets higher as you speed up. i now have two busted gearbox's could i replace first gear (lay shaft)?

4. yendall24

yendall24 Member

mine is the same its a 2.8 quattro a6 theres a lad on audiworld recons hes been running around with it like this for the past 4 years. not too sure if its fixable but i would be very interested to find out any more info would be very welcome

5. Julian978

Julian978 New Member

Mine makes same noise in first,, been like it two years since buying the car,, now got 185K on clock and still ok... Will fix it when I no longerr have first gear...LOL