1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox Leakage! Help please

bhavin1986 Sep 11, 2008

1. bhavin1986

bhavin1986 BBP

Howdy peeps.

My gearbox is dead! On arrival at my work, pulled up to the barriers and when I put it into first, I heard a knock but the car drove fine, reversed into a parking spot and after pulling up noticed a trail of oil. Checked it out and my gearbox was split and leaking oil all over the show. Got my mechanic to come and have a look and he just comfirmed the worst. Gearbox needs replacing.

I'm trying to source a reconditioned one, as I've heard that this can be a common fault and don't want to risk a second-hand one. I've searched in find-a-part, a trader cous of mine is gonna look into it, as is my mechanic. Any other suggestions as to where I could get one from? And more importantly how much I should be paying? Any help would be much appreciated.

Had a mission towing the f****er home. Taught me for not having breakdown cover.:keule:

2. abdus

abdus Top Gear VCDS Map User

have you tried ebay? there are some sellers who sell reconditioned ones

BTW, for what car is it?

3. bhavin1986

bhavin1986 BBP

its a 1999 1.6 sport btw, I've seen the ebayer whose selling recon ones. Gonna be a pricey do........is there anything I should make sure of when buying it? Also thinking of getting the clutch changed as it will need it soon. Car's done 95k. Ah well....