GEARBOX HAS GONE :(

Ballcrusher

NO CAT JUST 3" STRAIT THREW
Reaction score
Website
www.incar-forum.com
as above slowed down in taffic then went to pull away and the car just stalled tryed to select another gear and nothing but it didnt make any kind of noise to make me think that there was a probem.it seemed like it was stuck in 6th gear and wouldnt come out of gear.after a while of trying to select another gear it went into reverse but was juddering as soon as i took my foot off the clutch so i stopped then managed to get a low gear and pulled away but as soon as i pulled away it was grinding and sounded like some bearings were rattleing about in the gearbox then as soon as i stoped it seemed like it had locked the front wheels and even when i tryed to pull away it just stalled even with the clutch being down it still wouldnt allow the car to move and was stuck i gear.

Long time Jim! Welcome back, hope you get it sorted mate

just found out that a mate of a friend can fully rebuild the gearbox for £450 plus £350 for labour.

Ibzzzzz hows things mate.

just found out that a mate of a friend can fully rebuild the gearbox for £450 plus £350 for labour.

Ibzzzzz hows things mate.

I suggest he takes it off to have a look first, I had the same thing happen on the M42, one off the diff studs shot off a blew a hole in the gearbox! Notice the metal filings at the bottom, that's the grinding noise, and in the secong pic, you can see the diff through the hole!!

05102006160.jpg

05102006161.jpg

Not bad man! Where/How you been? SAF still getting rid of the S3 still?

Jo Jo, my A3 did exactly the same thing 18 months ago!

The planet gears in the diff went walkabout, one came up outwards through the casing, and one went forward into the bell housing destroying the clutch and flywheel!

Jo Jo, my A3 did exactly the same thing 18 months ago!

The planet gears in the diff went walkabout, one came up outwards through the casing, and one went forward into the bell housing destroying the clutch and flywheel!

Luckily for me, the flywheel was saved, I got myself a new clutch, as it was hit by some of the metal filings.