1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearbox And Tpms Errors!!!

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by razza1, Aug 26, 2014.

1. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Aug 26, 2014]
    Just sat in traffic and suddenly get amber gearbox malfunction and TPMS malfunction warnings....
    The TPMS I've only just had programmed in via VCDS...
    Gearbox had the mechatronic unit replaced in March by the previous owner by Audi which I have the receipt for.
    I turned off ignition and restarted and the warnings have gone away.
    Is this a blip or an I screwed? And if it is the gearbox gone with the MRC remap would Audi be unlikely to replace?
    I've only had the car a few weeks and don't have a warranty so will be well pissed if it's going to cost me
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Rodders.

Rodders. Active Member

[Aug 26, 2014]
    No warranty, I wouldnt see why audi would pay.
    Even with a warranty, they state that any mods void the warranty. So I would assume a engine tune would void it.

Pricey bitta kit to replace if you have to, let's hope you don't.

What's the year and millage?
  4. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 26, 2014]
    Sorry to hear about that Razza. I hope it turns out to be just a blip because, like Rodders said, it's very unlikely Audi would pay towards a replacement transmission on a modified car that's outside the 3-year warranty.

Fingers crossed for you, bud.
  5. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Aug 26, 2014]
    The part was replaced though in March and paid for by the guy I bought it from, not replaced under any warranty, so assume it comes with 2yr warranty on that part??
    Just hit 60k miles on a 2009 car.
    Driven the car again and the error hasn't reappeared....
    Seems odd they both came up though as the TPMS error is due to an ABS/ESP issue according to the manual
    Reading an article on the gearbox it can go into limp mode due to temp issues, but I'd only driven 5mins this morning with the little 'un in the car so wasn't driving hard either...
  6. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Aug 26, 2014]
    I see MRC accept no responsibility for anything after a remap so hope it's either a blip or Audi will pay given age of replacement funded privately...
  7. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Aug 26, 2014]
    Reading the back of the receipt from March ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409073136.084292.jpg it mentions 6mths or 6k miles, it's 8k miles...but refers to workmanship instead of parts though...a call in the morning to Audi by the looks of it
  8. Rodders.

Rodders. Active Member

[Aug 26, 2014]
    Well if its the meachatronic, you might be ok as that's the part that was replaced.

If its the actual gearbox....
  9. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Aug 27, 2014]
    So driven a fair distance since yesterday but no errors, although gearbox feels a illite clunkier around 2nd gear..
    Read up on the errors on several forums and sounds like the mechtronics unit is the issue, will have to see what they say
  10. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Aug 29, 2014]
    Hope it just buggers off! You could get it scanned with VCDS?
  11. aro03

aro03 New Member

[Aug 29, 2014]
    Did the car feel perfectly fine for the first few weeks? I just got my 2011 s4 and all seems ok for now....but dsg issues are always on the back of my mind.
  12. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Aug 29, 2014]
    Agreed. But I just wouldn't have that car as a manual, the gearbox and engine go together too well, so it's a "risk" I'll (we'll!) have to take!
  13. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Sep 2, 2014]
    Yes, although reversing out of drive up an incline always felt like it ran out of puff and needed oomph to get it going, but it seems like it was clunkier into first gear now, got it booked in next Monday at Audi
  14. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Sep 8, 2014]
    So update...no repeated errors, took the car into Audi for a free visual health check and managed to get them to check the error codes (didn't have to pay diagnostic this way :)).
    There were two error codes and they reckon it's a case of resetting the software on the gearbox, then taking it for a 45mile drive to get it to relearn the characteristics. They'll firstly check the oil levels but since it was only changed in March it's unlikely that's the cause.
    Couple of hours labour will cover it, but at Audi prices that's over £200, so have asked them to go back to Crawley Audi to see if they'll cover it after replacing it so soon
  15. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Sep 8, 2014]
    Well at least that's something. I would be surprised if Audi Crawley don't cough up a bit... perhaps a call to them too? Hopefully it's just a hiccough!
  16. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Sep 8, 2014]
    Hope so, made it clear to Reading that I'm not really prepared to pay anything that soon, they'll speak to Crawley but I may have to go direct