Gear shift problems.....

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
Just lately gear shifts have become a bit stiff or even impossible on my A3 (5speed/TDI).

Sometimes it is impossible to get reverse, and going between 3rd and 4th can be a real problem. There's no grinding noise and the problem can be sporadic.

Any ideas of a fix?

what year car is it? The early ones ahd a different selector lever on the gearbox to the later 5 speed and all the 6 speeders.
If its an ealry on and the symptoms tend to be stiffness when pushing the lever forwards, ie 1st and third / fifth, it most likely the slector lever that is cracked. It csan happend ont he pull back gears too.It will eventually break and you will have only 4th ger available!!

Its a cheap fix if it si, go to the dealer to get the bit though, you need to look at Etka to see the piece I mean, its like a black plastic "lever" that the cables sort fo attach to, (sort of as they bolt to brackets on this lever). As amn idea it went on my 99 t reg 1.8t, if yours is similar vintage, it could well be this.

thanks! it's a 2000/W, so pre-facelift. How do I access this part - do you have to remove anything to see the part? Any idea of a part number?