1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear shift problems.....

VAGMAN1 Feb 2, 2007

1. VAGMAN1

VAGMAN1 Member

Just lately gear shifts have become a bit stiff or even impossible on my A3 (5speed/TDI).

Sometimes it is impossible to get reverse, and going between 3rd and 4th can be a real problem. There's no grinding noise and the problem can be sporadic.

Any ideas of a fix?

2. simch

simch Active Member

what year car is it? The early ones ahd a different selector lever on the gearbox to the later 5 speed and all the 6 speeders.
    If its an ealry on and the symptoms tend to be stiffness when pushing the lever forwards, ie 1st and third / fifth, it most likely the slector lever that is cracked. It csan happend ont he pull back gears too.It will eventually break and you will have only 4th ger available!!

Its a cheap fix if it si, go to the dealer to get the bit though, you need to look at Etka to see the piece I mean, its like a black plastic "lever" that the cables sort fo attach to, (sort of as they bolt to brackets on this lever). As amn idea it went on my 99 t reg 1.8t, if yours is similar vintage, it could well be this.

3. VAGMAN1

VAGMAN1 Member

thanks! it's a 2000/W, so pre-facelift. How do I access this part - do you have to remove anything to see the part? Any idea of a part number?