Gear Selector Tower Cracked

immac

Reaction score
I fitted a short shifter to the standard tower last year. Now the selector tower ( I think that is the name) has cracked at the base. Only symptom so far is difficulty getting reverse. Mechanic is of the view that the short shifter has put excessive strain on the tower. We will fit a replacement.

So, questions: would the short shifter break the tower? Is there a way to strengthen the tower to avoid future problems? Is there another kit with combined/matched tower and short shifter that will be a better/stronger remedy?

This is on a 99 1.8t with AGU, 5 speed box - not sure which gearbox.

Ian

Last edited:
So you have replaced the gear lever itself? like a B&M type shifter rather than at the gearbox?

Pictures of the failure would be handy...

The TT selectors that people talk about is on the gearbox not the gear lever end... this type of short shift is the more popular choice over messing with the lever itself..

Assuming you have something like the B&M lever your best bet is to replace the broken shifter with a std one and look at sourcing a quick shift kit for the box shift mech,..

This apparently is for an 02J box but I would contact the seller to confirm... at least that way there is some come back if it doesn't fit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181543584426

TT one won't fit anyway as its an 02M box not an 02J...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: immac
Thanks. Yes, the lever was replaced. I will check out the option you suggest.

Ian