Gear selection problems

Speedy Steve

Reaction score
Not my car but the old dears A3 1.8 she's having problems getting it into gears mainly 1st and 3rd some times and then suddenly it will be fine again. the gearbox its self seams fine just wondering if anyone else has had this problem before?

Yup I still have this problem now and then. Not done it for about 3 months now. When it happens, Sometimes it will jump out of gear when booted in first or won't go in at all. All other gear selections are fine. Had it looked at and was told there is no issues, gears set up fine and clutch doing what it should.

So not much help I guess lol

wasnt there a video of how to align the stick and box somewhere? cant for the life of me think where though

If it's anything like mine the gear linkage will probably be lined up fine. Does it do it more if left in first gear over night?? Mine did and more so in winter :think:

i dont know mate i no longer live at home but always get the phone call when something is up with her A3. Its like i have loads of spare time to fix her car and never work on mine lol

You may need to adjust the linkages that connectto the gear box, once done make sure they are locked properly.