1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear box oil

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by starski4578, Nov 30, 2005.

1. starski4578

starski4578 Member

[Nov 30, 2005]
    Hi all, want to change the gearbox oil in my A3 QT as second gear can sometimes feel a bit awkward, can anyone recommend what i should replace it with or should i replace it with like for like? I read another thread which recommends Red line MTL...?
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

4. starski4578

starski4578 Member

[Nov 30, 2005]
    tar!!
  5. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Dec 1, 2005]
    The dog bone mount also improves this.

As my mate had a Leon with 10K on it and it was clunky. So it can't be the fluid!
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Dec 1, 2005]
    Dogbone mount improves gear selection due to holding the engine more steady, thus the cables aren't moving about and the adjustment isn't changing as much.
    Even so, I'd be concerned about a 10K car with a grinding box even with the standard mount as it shouldn't be worn too much on that mileage.

But its a proven fact that thick hypoid oils on worn gearboxes prevent the hubs in the syncromesh from rubbing together as they should. This causes the dog teeth between the gears and main shaft to take a longer time to match each other so you get the classic VW/Audi second gear crunch on frosty days.

Thin the oil and you help solve the problem.
    Still baffles me that VW/Audi haven't sorted this since the first MK1 golf "020" boxes from 1983!
  7. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Dec 1, 2005]
    Always good to know.

I drove my mates Leon and it did crunch into second, which shocked me. So I recommended the dog bone mount to him. As it helped with mine in conjunction with the oil change.

Mark.
  8. starski4578

starski4578 Member

[Dec 5, 2005]
    Cheers chaps...Mark still waiting for the guy to return the spoiler from spraying should of had it back last week!! going demon tweeks today to get it lowered. Hope it turns out right!