Gear Box Oil

Cam

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend which is best brand of gear box oil for 1999 model a4 quattro.

Thanks

Do have brand name for this? e.g castrol or valvoline

I'd stick with Genuine oil.
I replaced my gearbox about 6 months ago as it was on its last legs and spent hours reading up on which oil to use.
Everyone seemed to agree that whilst different brand oils had the same ratings they wouldn't perform the same eg from cold so bought a few bottles from my local vw dealer.
It was all marked Made in Germany , and whilst at over £40 for the lot it was expensive its one thing I'm not going to have to worry about again.....

Point is Audi dont manufacture oil. The produce a specification and then have Castrol or Mobil or whomever to actually make the stuff.

So long as the replacement oil meets those same specifications, i cant see the problem?

Point is Audi dont manufacture oil. The produce a specification and then have Castrol or Mobil or whomever to actually make the stuff.

So long as the replacement oil meets those same specifications, i cant see the problem?

I work for BP Lubricants (Castrol) and we manufacture most of VAG group lubes. Generally the VAG specs are produced in very close collaboration with the Global Lubricants Technology (GLT) team and VAG.

VAG, MB, BMW, Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati and GM are all amongst the major OEM's who we work very closely with

I've just replaced my fluid with Redline MT90. Cost the same as OEM for the 4 litres I needed, but have seen a lot of info to suggest it will make shifting better and reduce the crunchy synchro issue common on the 01E boxes.