1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Box Oil Volume???

Jacko4130 Feb 18, 2008

1. Jacko4130

Jacko4130 Goodie Gum Drops

Have just about finished rebuilding my clutch and need to know how much oil the gearbox needs as 1 of the last jobs, have searched but cant seem to find owt, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

2. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

takes 3.4 or 3.6 i think i remember looking it up the other week, there should be a level bung on the side of the box which you should be able to fill it up through, then keep fillling untill a little oil runs out the level hole that will then beat the correct level. the bung should look similar to the one on the bottom of the box where you would have drained the oil

3. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

S3 is 2.6L for the gearbox so you'll probably need to buy 3L and it should be done with the car level when filling.

4. Jacko4130

Cheers guys, any gear box oil do the job?

5. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

thats the one sorry 2.6 you want 75 w 90

6. Jacko4130

Ahh sound, down to local motor factors in the morning then...

7. jonS3

jonS3 Member

I cant remember if it needs to be GL4 or GL5 spec, have a search and find out. If you;ve just rebuilt it i'd go for a decent synthetic oil

8. jspilsted

jspilsted jimbo s3

:sm4:hey guys just a quick question ive got an s3 and want to change the oil in the gearbox. but i cant seem to get hold of the tool to undo it with! its like a allen key fitting but its got alot more teeth on it and it needs a hole in the end as on the gear box bung there is a lump of metel sticking out the middle of the bung im assuming this is so you have to take it to audi and get it done with them. well im not doing that!! any help where i could find one of these bits would be great thanks guys.james

9. ant schof

ant schof Member

Hi mate , changed my gearbox and rear diff oil a few weeks ago , used 75/90 castrol syntrax semi synthetic for the box took 2.6 ltrs
    and genuine audi oil for the rear diff 1 ltr . The tool you need is a multi spline drive with a hole in the middle . So you need a special tool ,
    got mine from ebay for a tenner ! its an M16 tamperproof spline , try consolidated tools .
    Cheers ,

Ant

10. S3 finatic

S3 finatic Limp mode

I've found GSF sell all the tools to do any servicing on Audi's.