Gear box noise

Nath140889

Reaction score
Ok so i have a 98 A3 1.8T, when pulling off if i let the clutch out slow with a little too muvh revs i get a very lous grating , grinding rattly sound like a bag of ball bearins being violently shaken and stirred, im not that clued up on VAG cars or cars with DMF's , the sound is comming from the gearbox area , it also occurs if say im driving on ice and one of the wheels loses traction, would i be right in thinking the flywheels on it way out or could it possibly be diff/ gearbox itself?

Worth checking the gearbox oil possibly? If not maybe a cv joint, check the condition of the inner and outer boots.

Yeah doesnt sound anything like a cv joint, i'll give the oil a check though , if you ran a metal file over a cheese grater id probably similar to the noise im getting and its only ever on pulling off or when i lose traction on one wheel in say ice for example, no noise while cornering or knocking

Might be a stupid question, but are you sure it isn't the EDL doing the *click* *click* *click* (yes there should still be a variation of EDL on front wheel only A3-s that don't have ESP, am I right?). As it is mostly happening when you get wheelspin, then I would suspect it. This systems detects wheelspin and uses the brakes (ABS system) to slow the spinning wheel (only works up to a certain speed like 25mph or so). I wouldn't suggest trying, but pulling ABS fuse could (might) disable it. But it also disables ABS brakes (lights up as an ABS fault probably too), so for safety reasons I wouldn't recommend trying without some serious consideration on where you're going to test it.

I wouldnt say its a click , more of a very loud mehanical grating of ball bearings from the gearbox, sound only ever comes from the gearbox area too despite which wheel is spinning, but it also does it if i set off letting the clutch out slowly with say 1200rpm, would love to find out what it is ideally before i plump for a new clutch and flywheel if i dont need one just yet

your first scenario, in my mind, points towards the flywheel/clutch side of the gearbox - too much rpm whilst slipping the clutch?

Whilst your second scenario, again in my mind, points towards the diff. When one wheel is spinning and the other isn't then that is when the planetary bevel gears in the diff cage are actually turning. If both your front wheels are going at the same speed then those bevel gears aren't spinning. You say you hear the noise when one wheel is spinning and the other still has traction?

have you tried jacking the front end up with the car in gear (engine off) and spin one of the front wheels by hand? The other front wheel should spin in the opposite direction... is it too stiff to do this? does it make horrible noises...

I'll see if i can get it up on a mates ramp and have a check and listen , be just my luck it will need a new box lol , just incase is there any decent six speed boxes that fit the front wheel drive lol

Reactions: Alex C
Possibly , i'll get all fluids checked and check the diff by spinnig the wheels , is there a decent clutch inspection hole on these gearboxes? Can tell i have a lot to learn about the car still lol