1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear box milage

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by camscockle20vT, Aug 2, 2012.

1. camscockle20vT

camscockle20vT The stigs ugly brother

[Aug 2, 2012]
    Hi all

I know this isnt the right section but i know the s3 has the same gear box as the TT and theres more helpfull people in the 8l section ;)

Im looking to buy a 225 TT in the next few months, and was wondering what was the average life span of a 6 speed,

I had a gear box let go on my 5speed a3 1.8t 1999 at 157k miles. It had a good run with my heavy foot. And nearly all TTs have been spanked by a drug dealer in manchester. So i just wonder how long it can hold out for with my abuse, an ex chippy from brum ;)

Likes and thanks for any and all help.

Ad.
  2. Benjiman46

Benjiman46 R-Tech Terrorist

[Aug 2, 2012]
    It all depends on how it's been driven mate. My girlfriend's dad rebuilds gearboxes for a living, and he says that mine is on it's way out (said this in Feb) and it's still going, hasn't got any worse... On the other hand, they can just let go at any time without warning.

When you go to pick it up, things to look for with the 6 speed are; difficulty engaging first and second gear (dead/dying syncros) and a whirring noise on over-run (when you let off) the sound is usually worse in 5th and 6th and is caused by one or two worn bearings causing two gears to rub together grinding teeth off tiny bit by tiny bit as time goes by.

Both are fatal for the gearbox if you let them get too bad.

Ben
  3. camscockle20vT

[Aug 2, 2012]
    Thanks for the info mate, will take that in mind, to be fair i should know what a dodgey gear box sounds like since iv sh**d a few in my time lol

What mileage are you on? And whats your driving style?

Ps. Some smart arse is going to post a pic of a guy driving with his feet or something lol
  4. camscockle20vT

[Aug 2, 2012]
    Stupid bloody dislike button gettin in my way lol
  5. Benjiman46

[Aug 2, 2012]
    No worries pal :) haha yeah same here :D just about every car I've had has needed a gearbox at some point :p

I'm on 97000 miles, and I drive like the stig's anti social cousin.

Haha yeah I'm waiting for it now :p
  6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 2, 2012]
    Mine went @52k miles!
  7. camscockle20vT

[Aug 3, 2012]
    Thats an early death i would of thought, was it down to your driving or maybe previous owner? But 52k damn that car must of been driven hard.
  8. jojo

[Aug 3, 2012]
    Don't know mate, it happened at 50mph or so changing from 4th to 5th and bang, diff pin through the side of gearbox, the whole transmission locked up.

Can't find my thread on it.

Hole in the gearbox.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the diff!
    [​IMG]
  9. Benjiman46

[Aug 3, 2012]

My focus did this exact same thing.. Changing from 2nd to 3rd, nice and steady.

It can't be helped and is caused by one of the E clips holding the diff pin in falling off. Once that pin works loose it goes kaboom! lol
  10. StaceyS3

StaceyS3 Well-Known Member

[Aug 3, 2012]
    My box **** the bed at 110k but was bad from 2nd to 3rd for a while but only when really pushing on ;)
  11. camscockle20vT

[Aug 3, 2012]
    Yeh its luck of the draw i suppose, but some good tips from benji should see me from much bother.

Thanks for the replys.
  12. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

[Aug 4, 2012]
    i broke my passat box reversing flat out :)
  13. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 4, 2012]
    are we all making an effort at rev matching or just letting the synchro do it all? Also does anyone heel/toe? My gearbox is crunchy into third (changed gearbox oil/dogbone mount/added molyslip -- not cured) so am making an extra effort to rev match rather than a lazy gear change which i have probably been guilty of in the past

Also rev matching whilst braking - heel/toe. Anyone manage this successfully? I am trying to learn this for when i drive hard round corners but feel like i need to break my ankle in order to brake and blip the throttle. And why is the throttle so low down compared to the brake pedal?
  14. jojo

[Aug 4, 2012]
    It's possible, just about, to heel and toe in an S3. The problem is, when you press the brake pedal, it cuts the accelerator signal, which defeats the point of heel and toeing! But if you plan ahead and step on the break first before blipping the throttle, then it works! Hard to do it under track conditions though, I just let the syncro do the work most of the time! :racer:
  15. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

[Aug 4, 2012]
    My box was rebuilt at 140k! Feels nice but I think I have a leak near the prop, seen some wet patches there. I have the offed problem getting into 2nd sometimes but that's just the nature of the box!
  16. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 6, 2012]
    i manage to get the throttle signal ok..... hit brake pedal, dip clutch knock out of gear, blip throttle slip into gear and bring the clutch back up whilst keeping foot on the brake.

The easiest way i find of braking and blipping the throttle with my right foot is to have the edge of the ball of my foot on the edge of the brake pedal whilst tilting my foot over to dab the edge of the throttle pedal with the right edge of my foot -- but with the throttle pedal where it is my foot is nearly slipping off the brake pedal in order to blip the throttle
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  17. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Aug 6, 2012]
    Gops can I ask how much you paid for a gearbox rebuild, think mine has gone, cars on 113k. Thanks

18. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

[Aug 7, 2012]
    As said in the PM matey was done before I bought the car but the receipt says 500 without labour. If you want, ring Midland VW and ask for Jody and he'll give you a price for it.
  19. SoljahofSensi

SoljahofSensi Member

[Aug 8, 2012]
    Don't ask how much it was to fix but mine wouldn't go into reverse recently n cost me a bit to fix. The selector fork/shaft messed up, only done 72k