Gareth's A3 1.8T AGU - (Slow) Progress Thread

GarethEvans

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a happy A3 8L owner since November last year - Bought the car at 82K from the only lady owner with FSH, and seemed to be running great. First 'Proper' car after a couple of crap 1.0litres, so the 150bhp felt epic!

Unfortunately I've lost all the original photos of when I bought it, so you will have to excuse the Instagram specials for now.

cIpET2M.png

I've ended up doing a lot of work on it through problems that have arised and just general maintenance that was necessary. I serviced it as soon as I got it, and soon after fitted a new Thermostat and Temperature sensor as the engine temperature was hardly rising and fuel economy sucked! Also fitted new disks and pads all round as they were rusted to hell.

With that sorted, I then ran into a horrible misfire a few weeks later in cylinder 1 - that turned out to be a dodgy Ignition Control Module. £100 quid and new one is now fitted, problem gone!

Then after a local car meet I was met with the Check Brakes warning on the dash. By the next morning the brake fluid tank had emptied itself over my drive - found that the handbrake leaver seal on the rear left calliper had failed. Reconditioned calliper was fitted, and whilst bleeding the system the other rear calliper bleed nipple decided to jump ship! So that side was replaced too.

Next up was some JOM coilovers that I got for £100 off of my mate, and again encountered loads of problems. This time with the lower strut bolt heads sheering off completely... Replacement bolts bought and old ones drilled out, then eventually looked like this:

cQ0jnnhl.jpg

After a very quick decision a few months ago, I snapped up a set of 18" Rota Grid Drift's second hand finished in a custom Black/Dark Grey colour shift paint job. (Photos don't do the colour justice.) Specs are 9.5J Et 23 on rear, and 8.5J Et 44 on the front.

225/40/18 Pirelli's fitted all round and 15mm spacers on front to clear coilovers - but will change the front tyres soon as I need some more stretch to fit them under the arches without ruining them.

KpO19kZ.png

And this is how it currently sits!

VwKbjOE.png

DBxoYSU.png

voh1rqq.png

tYZIUqJ.png

I've just fitted a shallow sump on the weekend too, and I realise that this holds less oil and people reckon it will starve the engine of oil.. but my mate has one on his Mk4 Golf 1.8T running 266bhp and it seems fine! So thought I'd risk it. Snapped a ball ended allen socket and also a bolt, but finally on:

hdGzKep.png

I've also ripped out all of the old Bose sound system that was originally fitted, as the front speakers weren't working and the headunit had the volume problem. So bye bye all speakers, head unit, 6 CD changer, subwoofer, and amp.

In went some 13cm JBL GTO529 components in the front, and JBL GTO637 coaxials in the rear - Upgraded wiring all the way to a JBL GTO1004 in the boot. Then got a couple of 12" JL W3 500w RMS subs in a custom box from a mate, with a JL JX1000 Mono amp to power them. Now it sounds great ;)

Oh, and I binned the rear wiper as it never worked - replaced with a glass grommet off ebay, looks miles better!

So I think that is me up to date.. Have a few more things planned exterior wise, but will be just some bodywork and neatening up. I have the usual engine mods lined up (Forge 007p, S2000 air filter, Turbo Intake Pipe, FMIC, and eventually a Remap.) but this will be a slow progress. Looking to have this car for a good few years yet!

Any comments welcome, and thanks for any advice in advance. :)

Reactions: Essexman and Pubemammal
Very nice Gareth. They are exactly the wheels I want in the same finish!

Nice one mate, a fellow S reg! :beerchug: Loving those wheels. Where you based?

Ha yep the 1998 gang! :D Cheers bud, I'll be happier when I get the new tyres on the front.. they let them down I feel lol. I'm just outside Uxbridge in West London.

Very nice Gareth. They are exactly the wheels I want in the same finish!

Thanks buddy! I've wanted a set for a while now, hence why I acted quickly on a selling advert.. and probably spent more than I should have lol. The paint is custom by a paint shop, found the pictures on the companies instagram - but it looks quite similar to the Hyper Black finish you can buy them in!

Ha yep the 1998 gang! :D Cheers bud, I'll be happier when I get the new tyres on the front.. they let them down I feel lol. I'm just outside Uxbridge in West London.

Nice I am West London too, Hampton Wick, just moved from Isleworth. I'll have to keep an eye out for you fella!

Nice I am West London too, Hampton Wick, just moved from Isleworth. I'll have to keep an eye out for you fella!

Ah okay nice! My cousins live up that way in Kingston but don't go round there too often. Always keep an eye out for A3's anyway :)

I'm thinking of ripping out my bose set, how much bother was it putting new wiring in? Or did you use the existing wiring again?

I'm thinking of ripping out my bose set, how much bother was it putting new wiring in? Or did you use the existing wiring again?

Actually surprisingly easy... I'm not saying it didn't take a while, because it did. But much better than standard! Hardest part is getting the wiring from the battery and head unit for the amp. I advise you to run the power cable down the left side of the car under the panelling (easy to remove), and the RCA cables from your head unit down the right side. I haven't done this and have got quite a bit of interference and engine wine which I've been told is probably because of the magnetic field my two 4 Gauge power cables are creating!

Then you just need to run speaker wire to the front speakers down the same foot kick panels and up through the door conduits into the door. I used a cable tie with the wire taped to the end to get it through these ;)

Reactions: fanta
Thanks Gareth, much appreciated!
I'll be putting together a list of things I need before I get on with this, I want to make sure I do both in one hit, rather than remove the bose kit, then come back to it! The cable tie with wire is a neat idea, i'll steal this!

Thanks Gareth, much appreciated!
I'll be putting together a list of things I need before I get on with this, I want to make sure I do both in one hit, rather than remove the bose kit, then come back to it! The cable tie with wire is a neat idea, i'll steal this!

No problemo :) Yeah go for it bud, I have used a wire coat hanger before to do the same for a larger distance like getting the power cable through the bulkhead. A little bit of engine oil as lube goes a long way to getting it through rubber grommits too! ;)

Oh and you might want to be careful removing the rear door panels as the clips like to remove themselves.. A hot glue gun does the job to put them back in their place though.

Fitted my boost gauge on Friday! Pretty simple and easy really.. just a bit of a faff.

After a battle with my rusted wipers (I won), got the scuttle panel off:
RORLnqX.jpg

Bit full of crap! That's the box where you can get into the underside of the dash - fed the silicone pipe through the spare rubber blank in the front.

qXFrgA5.jpg

dy3ZC5G.jpg

I used a long zip tie taped to the pipe and pushed through from the underside of the dash.

EgPfU8J.jpg

7EXv7yC.jpg

Managed to route the pipe round the front of the crash bar under the dash and had it come out at the top of the fuse box.

FpzeALX.jpg

Then routed the pipe through the scuttle panel wiring loom rubbers into the engine bay.

paVgoot.jpg

Drilled a hole in the pillar and pushed another zip tie through until it came out at the top of the fuse box, then taped the pipe to it and pulled it back through.

hpAy5Y3.jpg

Then did the opposite with the gauge wiring to get it by the fuse box.

tq5uBNs.jpg

All wired up! Tapped into the wrong power wire first in the light switch loom which kept it on all the time, even with ignition off. Then found the switched ignition power (large Black and Yellow cable) in the back of the fuse box, and then tapped into the ground (Brown) for the negative wire.

ztxrvEq.jpg

Then connected the silicone pipe to the boost line from the top of the Dump Valve using a T piece. Replaced that small pipe with some spare as the original one split when I tried to insert the T piece lol. Used zip ties to secure them on.. didn't have any black ones to hand!

FtIU5Gs.jpg

All done! Need to cover the screw with fabric.. but don't like the colour of the fabric on the pod as it doesn't match as well as hoped it would. So will remove and recover at some point!

Tested it and it hits a solid 0.55 Bar which is stock boost pressure, all good! :)

I wasn't bothered about having it dim with the interior lights or turn off when the side lights weren't on, seeing as the gauge is tinted you can't see it during the day without the backlight on.

1iJesJV.jpg

Next up, new 007p and TIP soon :)

I need to get my scuttle off at some point, previous owner didn't fit it back on correctly and now I know, I can't stop seeing a gap. I'm told its relatively straightforward, just getting the wipers off like you say is the ****...

Ah yeah its a pain when you notice a problem like that! yeah the wipers are the only thing holding it on really, apart from a clip round the bottom of the window that it slots into. :)

A few things turned up today in the post:

O40EXuD.jpg

Honda S2000 filter, 80-70mm reducer pipe, and jubilee clips.

xOzJsbN.jpg

The old airbox was swiftly removed, and looked like this soon after:

5GQlJO8.jpg

I had to trim off a large amount of the pipe from each end for the filter to fit snug in the bay, and quite a lot from the inside of the pipe for the filter to slot in. This seemed a very tight fit as there is a 5mm difference in the circumference of the filter end and the 80mm pipe.

Either way, its on there now! Sounds great, and got that very much sought after dump valve noise!

After fitting the filter, I did a bit of tidying up on the drivers door trim - at the very bottom of the trim, the paint has come off and is rusting. I see this every day and it bugs the hell outta me!

gEB2F8C.jpg

So a bit of pikey masking was necessary (shrink wrap), and some electrical tape as I couldn't find any masking tape lol. I only wanted to temporarily tidy it up and stop it rusting further, so just sprayed a couple of coats of matt black plastidip over it. Looks much nicer!

Will do the other side tomorrow hopefully.

Have you done the wing mirrors too? Mine are looking that warn out grey colour and need some love.

My wing mirrors are body colour coded.. so aren't too bad. But that plastidip rubbed off a few days later where the door comes into contact with it. Will need painting properly at some point!

Nice thread mate.. Im in hayes and also have a s reg lol
Good idea with boost gauge wiring fed..

I wonder how many people now have a sore neck from turning to look at that photo :p

Haven't posted in a while, but I have been busy on the car! I've had some 205/35/18 Nankangs fitted over the front 8.5J grids, which give enough stretch to sort out the rubbing issues they were having on the arches.

0xlZVR6.jpg

Also bought a TT 225 anti roll bar for the front so that I can fix the rubbing issues there too, just have to get that fitted - can't be ***** removing the subframe on the drive on stands, so gonna get it done at a garage.

One day I decided to get some negative camber going on the rear wheels, mainly to stop them rubbing on the arches, but also because I love the look of tilted rear wheels. Had a real 3 day faff which involved lots of rusted nuts and bolts which rounded off. Eventually after hitting things repeatedly with various size hammers and assorted garage utensils and small pets, I got them sitting just about how I wanted them. Though 2 months on, I now want to a few more degrees just for fun!

snIAyQb.jpg

zecWNWn.jpg

The next on the list was to neaten up my boot. With the dual 12 inch subs and amp running the speakers, it looked really messy and didnt leave me with a lot of useable space. So I got some 12mm plywood from a well known DIY shop and went to town. Used the floor mat as a template but it needed a lot of trimming for it to fit higher up in the boot above the subs. Cut out the two holes for the subs to fit through, and also a little door so that I can utilise the extra space underneath. Moved the amp into the spare wheel well, ditched the wheel. Then trimmed it all in some alcantara.

fHS4ANf.jpg

VF1WPKg.jpg

539Zsi9.jpg

fQ20W6h.jpg

Doesn't look too shabby if I do say so myself! Also retrimmed the parcel shelf in black alcantara to match the seats and rear trims, muuuch better than crap grey.

Now the biggest and best thing, my birthday present to myself. Went down to EMP Performance in St Albans and got a custom machine bent stainless steel 2.5 inch Turbo back, with a small sports rear box made up. Downpipe, decat - the whole shabbang!
Absolutely over the moon with the thing. It sounds so damn good now, best money I have spent so far! It's rather loud but hell it's worth it.

0BOaQ99.jpg

G6S2Uzl.jpg

CYFMdvD.jpg

eaHv2Vi.jpg

JSHq8CO.jpg

I'd seriously recommend EMP for any work, but especially exhaust and pipework - Dave is the bomb. Super nice guys, top quality work. Check them out.

Oh and also got a cheap £40 adjustable recirc dump valve off ebay for my birthday too, much better than the standard.

Got lots of plans for the future, but am looking to save for a house.. so the next instalment might be a while!

EMP are amazing aren't they

watched them make up an exhaust for my passat, and it's an artwork watching him bend the piping to perfection

be careful of the cheap DV's, they are prone to leaking

EMP are amazing aren't they

watched them make up an exhaust for my passat, and it's an artwork watching him bend the piping to perfection

be careful of the cheap DV's, they are prone to leaking

Yeah mate, really happy with the work. And actually really reasonable prices! Unfortunately they now make people stay behind a safety line so couldn't sit and watch, but Dave let me come check it out every so often. It is indeed an artwork!

Ah okay yeah, its not gonna stay on too long.. just something better than standard. Will get Forge when the money is available!

to be honest you can get a 2nd hand Forge DV recirc for about £50-60

plenty of for sale groups on FB

Looking good Gareth. Car has a nice stance to it and I like the wheels. Oem dv are good, they hold boost really well.

Haven't posted in a while again.. not a lot has changed - I got bored of the Rota Grids, so sold them to a friend and bought some XXR 527's in Matte Bronze. 8.75J/9.75J.

5HotFBC.jpg

Oh and had my TT anti roll bar fitted that was laying around in the garage.. no more driveshaft rubbing issues which is lovely! Allowed me to lower a fair bit more, but once front arches have been rolled, I plan to lower further. :)

Reactions: Pubemammal
Great update Gareth as always! I'm going to take your advice on EMP. I presume the decat won't affect MOT time, there are mixed opinions from what I can tell, keen on your take. Facelift front lights would finish your car off lovely if you ask me :) Are you planning on getting S3 bumpers?

Great update Gareth as always! I'm going to take your advice on EMP. I presume the decat won't affect MOT time, there are mixed opinions from what I can tell, keen on your take. Facelift front lights would finish your car off lovely if you ask me :) Are you planning on getting S3 bumpers?

Thanks bud! You will be in good hands, Dave is a master welder! I have been told that the decat shouldn't be a problem through MOT, it is the testers discretion whether to fail it or not... but EMP suggested using a guy that they send all of their customers with rediculous exhausts to, just in case. Mine is due in November, so I'll let you know!

And yes, both of those things are on my list in the future - S3 rear bumper only as I'm not keen on the front, and also the rear spoiler.

But my goal is to get more power first before I do anymore styling stuff! :)

Nice one Gareth Jealous of your exhaust lol. Looking forward to hearing it at Players
Ha thanks man, yeah look forward to seeing yours too!

The level of satisfaction after an oil and filter change is great lol.

98,640 miles on the clock now, and still going strong! The old oil was a thick black even after 5000 miles, but I'm hoping that's normal - no shimmer or bits floating in it at least.

mUb4oVT.jpg

The car is now in boring winter mode. Back to standard wheels and coilovers raised to a useable height. I was also considering selling the new XXR's to free up some cash as I'm in the middle of buying a flat, but it seems no-one wants to buy them at the price I want for them... so for now they are staying.

Q88VZrQ.jpg

However I have decided to go in a new direction with the car in the coming months (once I have some spare cash), instead of going reasonably low and 'stanced', I am going to go more racecar. So more upgrades are gonna happen in the engine bay!

I want to get it to Stage 2 at least and then have it mapped, then from there find a K03S and look for a healthy 220/230bhp. Though before big power happens there will need to be some suspension upgrades from my budget JOM's, and brake upgrades. Also no more stretched tyres, proper sizes and good brands!

But as per usual, all of these things will take some time.

Reactions: Essexman and Pubemammal
Car looks very smart :)

2 thinkgs though:

Decats - don't be fooled by any sales pitch, it's 100% an MOT fail at ANY mot carried out correctly. it's not 'hit and miss' or 'testers discression', it's a straight fail.

Also, EMP have a VERY good rep for custom exhausts, but I'm a little surprised to see that they've used crush bends on your system rather than manderells. Crush bends, as you can see above, crush the inside radius of the tube during bending and reduce it's internal diameter.

This won't be an issue at KO3S levels at all, but for those wanting more, it's a point worth noting.

Looking forward to see what happens next with the car :)

Reactions: antwan64og
Car looks very smart :)

2 thinkgs though:

Decats - don't be fooled by any sales pitch, it's 100% an MOT fail at ANY mot carried out correctly. it's not 'hit and miss' or 'testers discression', it's a straight fail.

Also, EMP have a VERY good rep for custom exhausts, but I'm a little surprised to see that they've used crush bends on your system rather than manderells. Crush bends, as you can see above, crush the inside radius of the tube during bending and reduce it's internal diameter.

This won't be an issue at KO3S levels at all, but for those wanting more, it's a point worth noting.

Looking forward to see what happens next with the car :)

Thanks Prawn! Means a lot, I'm currently on page 22 of your thread and learning quite a lot!

Cheers for clearing up the Decat on MOT, there are lots of different opinions floating around about it - the whole MOT guidelines seem vague at times. I'll just put the standard exaust back on for MOT time.

Regarding the exhaust, I am fully aware of the machine bent pipework and that it decreases the internal diameter in the bends - they made what I asked for basically. They said I could use mandrel bends and have better performance, but for my BHP goal it was overkill. And it would also have blown the costs way out of my budget. For a 3" mandrel bent system, it would have been 250-300 more for the added labour and material costs.

But I'm happy with the exhaust and it fits my needs! :)

Thats cool. that's exactly what you want, good honest service, giving you the option, and allowing you to chose what suits you best.

As you say, given your power goals, there's no real detriment to the crush bent pipework.

if you were pushing for every last single bhp from a 2.5'' system, then possibly, but in this case, it's a none issue.

So long as you're happy, that's all that matters :racer:

Good luck reading my thread, it's so long I've forgotten half of it myself even though I wrote it :laugh:

Yeah I was really pleased with the service they gave, they explained that it would be a limitation should I go for a larger turbo and more power in the future, but I don't have the money or the knowledge to go that far!

I'm very happy with it, just need some more mods and a remap and then I will be much happier. Had it pop and bang a few times completely randomly, so want it to do that more often! :p

Haha yeah I am sort of wondering whether its worth skipping a few pages, but knowing me I will miss some useful info..

If you want to swap anything back for standard parts let me know.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk