Garage tools + equipment recommendations

m1tch

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to buy a new house, I am moving from a flat to a house with a garage, although I own an array of hand tools and power tools I have never had the space to be able to get some of the larger pieces of equipment that usually make things easier.

I just wanted to put up an advice thread to the bits of garage equipment that people most use with a view to getting things to kit out the garage as it will be a blank canvas. I figure its best to work out everything I might need so that I can plan out the garage accordingly with regards to power sockets and location of different bits.

I am looking to get the following so far:

Air compressor with an average sized receiver (suggestions welcome)
MIG welder with gas bottles (also need to learn to weld)
Pillar drill
Band saw
Small lathe
Engine crane
Pressure washer

I believe with those few larger pieces of equipment it should mean I can do most things in the garage especially with all of the various air powered tools I could get.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you are moving into a large house with a double garage, if not then you might find that the garage will not be totally freed up for you to populate with all these bits of kit. I have a large house and big detached double garage along with an outside store, but as I tend to garage two of my cars I don't have space for too much extra tools. I keep intending to get an extension built to the garage to work in and keep lost of non garage tools in so that I can reach them without needing to wait until I have a car out of the garage, space gets used up quicker than you might expect!