Garage door build?

JayA3sline

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening all

Just bought a new build property with a garage that is detached to the property but the rear end of the garage wall is in my back garden (3 garages in total make my right hand fence effectively). Basically I want to put an access door into the back so I haven't got to keep walking around my neighbours house to get into the garage block.

I've read a bit online and I'm guessing because it's detached and away from the property it's not as a big deal as if it was a town house and attached (fire exits and carbon monoxide etc).

Will it be a case of literally cutting out the access, lintel, door frame and door? Are there any specifics that need to be considered? There are a few properties that have done the same thing when I was viewing houses. Will the garage need to be supported whilst being cut? Any advice? Planning permission?

Cheers in advance

What's the garage built from, brick / breeze block etc, what roof consist of..

Typical new build so breeze block and brick. Roof tiles and timber frame.

Acro's with strong boys to support the brickwork above usually.

if it were me id put a lintel across the top of were you want the door 1st to be on the safe side then cut the hole for the door the put the door frame in. wouldn't have thought you would have to get planning for it

Small lintel job and bobs your uncle, fairly straight forward