Garage also says Air con compressor faulty

rich dj

2015 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE Quattro 190 Technik
Reaction score
Garage also says Air con compressor faulty it seemed to be intermittent before i took it there some times it would work and other times not very often to start with it would not.
when it did work it was ice cold and the garage say there is plenty of gas there as they pressure tested it its just the compressor is intermittently charging and no pressure increase.
So some advice please,
and as i have just spent 440 quid on a recon turbo (garage price would have been 1100 for replacement not recon and not vag part) and 300 quid before that on brakes sensors and investigation for turbo and air con and also a piece rubber caught in one of the fans.
I have seen compressors on ebay from germany for about the 200 quid mark any thoughts.
Have thought about a second hand one but it still all needs discharging and charging again.
Trouble is i like my car and don't have the money to upgrade right now, also front wing is rusting and audi would not pay out for it so may get the same colour wing from a scrap yard/ebay.
arrrrrrr....

I just changed the compressor on my car got one from ebay with a damaged pully for £30 swaped the pully over and all is well. The only thing I would say is to get the system degassed first. It was an easy job on a 4 pot, and cannot believe it would be that bad on a v6.

Im trying to find a garage that will de gas then re gas for me with me just doing the compressor change.
Unless this is the problem found for mk4 golf on a web site

"An alternative approach is to repair the existing pump in situ. The actual failure of the clutch results from the internal spline that connects the clutch hub to the input shaft of the pump. The spline wears over time until there are no teeth left to drive the pump so even though the clutch still operates, the pump shaft remains stationary. The clutch hub is retained on the end of the pump shaft by a nut, but when the spline has worn out then the nut is quickly undone by the speed difference between the hub and shaft, consequently the nut will probably be missing by the time you are even aware there is a problem with the pump. "

Anybody had any experience like that with the Audi compressors?
As you don't need to de gas as you can do it with it still connected

Try kwik-fit just tell them you need to change the pump and would they de-gas the system and then bring it back in a couple of day for the re-gas.