GAP/ Return To Invoice Insurance

normski

Reaction score
I know the **** has been ripped out of this time again, but I have been getting quotes for my forthcoming S3 and the companies don't seem to want to get near the quotes people were getting a couple of months back when the subject was last discussed.

Anyone bought GAP etc lately can make a recommendation.

I haven't found many firms who will do a return to new, which is what I am really after as I am getting a good discount and I don't want to foot a couple of grand extra myself if the car gets nicked and the thieves use the can of petrol I leave in the boot for them...

Paid £200 for mine from the dealer after a bit of negotiating. I could of had it a little cheaper though through the CSMA ( civil service motoring association ) which i think you would be eligible to join.If you want more info let me know, I think I can get a quote off their website.

Mark

Dealer has offered it to me for £524 for 3 years on my new S3 - ordered Saturday.
He also offered GAP and tyre insurance all in for £765. Claimed tyre insurance would be £404 - so he was giving away all his profit....

I seem to recall someone posted about http://www.surfandprotect.com/

Guys, Can those of you who purchased GAP (especially for you new S3) give me some advice on how much cover you purchased?

I have been off to visit http://www.surfandprotect.com/ and the maximum cover it quotes is £25K, however I can't believe for one minute that I need the full amount against a £34Kcar.

Can anyone advise what level of cover they did get £15/17K?

Cheers, Steve

Well I plan to keep my S3 for 4 years if I like it, and have been looking at the costs of cover and the amount to be covered.

By my reckoning, on a Return to New policy, if the car was 4 years old it should still be worth a good £12,000 plus with the new equivalent (based on this one being £31,000) being lets say £33,000 due to price rises.

The difference is obviously £21,000 and if I got stiffed by the insurance co. the difference could be more. The next lowest cover appears to be £20,000 which wouldn't leave me feeling comfortable at all.

Obviously if you plan to keep the car for less time, less cover is needed.

When I bought my new A3 2.0TDI-170 SE Sportback in March the total invoice cost would have been £25,895 without any discount. I negotiated with the dealer and after showing him some internet quotes and got the normal Audi GAP return to invoice insurance down to £225.00 for 3 years cover up to £15,000.

My normal insurance will pay for a replacement vehicle for the first 12 months and as I got £12,500 trade-in on the 3 year old 3-door A3 I'm sure the £15k cover will be adequate.

I used surf and protect for my S3 in March. They do new for old and I had 4 years cover.
If you ring up and ask about 4 years rather than use the internet you get 10% discount which came to about £337 all in.

prt57

prt57 said:
I used surf and protect for my S3 in March. They do new for old and I had 4 years cover.
If you ring up and ask about 4 years rather than use the internet you get 10% discount which came to about £337 all in.

prt57

Good to know that, will be doing so as they are the best quote/cover I can find

Is it written in to these policies anything to stop people going and writing their cars off to get all their money back when the insurance is about to finish.

A3simon said:
Is it written in to these policies anything to stop people going and writing their cars off to get all their money back when the insurance is about to finish.

One would assume that if you have the balls to crash it badly enough to write it off deliberately, or get a mate to steal it and torch it, then as long as you don't get found out you would be laughing...

Either to the bank or maybe prison...

What did you have in mind?