1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaiter leaking oil need advice please...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jonesy, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Hi, just had the wheels off to paint the calipers and noticed that the offside gaiter might have a split in it as theres oil splattered around the inside of the arch, theres not much and its quite thick oil! I pressed the gaiter and you can hear the air escaping!! Not sure how long its been like this, last time i had the wheels off was a couple of months ago.

Whats the next step, a new gaiter? Is it a DIY job?

Thanks in advance

Allan

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Just had a closer look and it seems that the gaiter has come away where the Audi 'jubilee' clip goes round it at the slimmer end. Its split off so will need a new one :( Theres CV boot kits on ebay for quite cheap but cant see how the hell you can put a new one on without removing half the car!!! HELP....

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Hi, these universal ones any good, or should i get it done properly?

5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

Depends what tools you have access to. The nut/bolt at the end of the shaft needs to removed, then a balljoint or similar popped to allow enough movement to clear the hub. Once the shaft is free you then need to remove the joint, clean the **** out, regrease and reasseble

6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

Jonesy, I would pay someone to do it if you don't know what you are doing mate. With CVs, the parts are generally cheap for the mileage they can cover on the car, but you need to get them fitted properly, or they could only last a short time before needing replacing again.

7. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

get a audi one they are about £20 and include booy , grease , new stretch bolt and some washers.

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

garage it is then, more money lol