1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G60 flywheel, quick Q about G60 clutch and pressure plate.

Craig1.8t Feb 10, 2012

1. Craig1.8t

Craig1.8t Member

Got hold of a G60 flywheel with clutch and pressure plate, I know the flywheel will fit but will the clutch plate and pressure plate?

2. HTC

HTC Active Member

I have a feeling the clutch plate splines are different, but don't quote me on that. I know the VR6 clutch and pressure plate will fit as that's what I have on mine.

3. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

Pretty sure Kevs right.

Get yourself a VR6 clutch kit, they're about £90 from GSF.

Remember you'll also need the g60/ABF flywheel centre bolts too, you can't reuse yours.

4. BENJAMIN

BENJAMIN Active Member

G60 and vr6 clutches are identical fitment. The vr clutch is a common upgrade on the g60 as it has a slightly higher clamping force. But all 02a boxes share the same input spline and same 228mm size friction plate.

5. Prawn

Ah, so the only reason nobody uses the G60/ABF clutch is before it's not an upgrade then?

Are vr6's an 02A or 02J box? I thought they were 02J but I'm hugely likely to be wrong again :p

6. BENJAMIN

BENJAMIN Active Member

Yeah exactly, I did have the tech data from Sachs somewhere, the abf and g60 were similar but the vr was a bit stronger. Vr6 box is an 02a although it does have a different bell housing to accommodate the different bolt pattern on the vr6 block. You can swap to a 02j box on a vr by using the mk4 golf v5 5peed box and early agu 100mm output flanges.

7. Craig1.8t

Craig1.8t Member

So we've established the clutch plate will work, what about the pressure plate?

Also if I bought ye VR6 clutch kit from gsf, will I have to use my release bearing or is the vr6 the same?

8. Prawn

same release bearing I believe, mine certainly looked no different.

if you get the kit from GSF it comes with the clutch plate, pressure plate, and release bearing.

If you just need a VR6 pressure plate then let me know, I think I've got 2 spare in the garage that have covered less than 1000 miles!

9. Craig1.8t

Craig1.8t Member

Just priced up the kit, it is £90 so think I will go for new, I have the g60 flywheel.

Thanks for the help lads

10. Chlippo

Chlippo Member

part numbers anyone?
    It is the clutch of the mk4 vr6 right?

11. woking rob

woking rob Member

sorry tobut in ....... so best bet is a g60 flywheel, vr6 cluch kit and what bolts will i need?