G13 coolant and water question??

johnnevett

Reaction score
Hi
changing the coolant next week as part of the full service I'm doing but I have a question about what water to mix the coolant with???
Is normal tap water ok? Or does it have to be distilled? And is distilled and deionised the same??
if not where can I get distilled water from?
thanks
john

Just normal tap water should be used.

That's good to know. Thanks
I'm also doing a full brake fluid flush. Is ATE super blue ok for an everyday car- non track. Or should I stick with OEM? Only wanted to use the blue so I know when all the old fluid is out.
Thanks

Personally I would stick with OEM. I would not mix the two fluids as I think is going to be difficult to get all of the old fluid out, and you would also need to do the clutch as well.

Personally I would stick with OEM. I would not mix the two fluids as I think is going to be difficult to get all of the old fluid out, and you would also need to do the clutch as well.
I'll stick with OEM
Clutch??? How do I do that.

Out of interest, if your car has G12+, G12++ or G13 coolant mixture in it, why are you replacing it?

G12, G13 seems to have a 5yr life from what I have seen. I use tap water to top up but I boil it first and leave it to stand to get rid of some of the chemicals in there.

Ah, I thought like modern Ford like stuff it would not degrade like the older brews that lost their inhibitor effectiveness quite quickly.

So, this is what it has come to, when you move on from elastic band driven valve gear - where you changed the band(s) and water pump, and so the fluid, every few years - you start to have chain driven valve gear, but now need to make a special effort to remember to change the coolant.

Having said all that, I changed coolant on a Fiesta 1.6Si (Zetec) my wife had years ago, even although it was long life stuff, when the car was over 6 years old, I reverse flushed the system, filled up with 50% Motorcraft proper stuff, started engine and went for a quick run, stopped back at the house only to heard water flowing - water pump seal "gone" - oh bother, new pump and another new cambelt etc!!