FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hey all,

Just thought I'd fire a post on here to see if anyone might be able to help me pin-point a root cause of my "never-ending-story" alarm problem... (linked HERE and again insidde that post)

To summarise... My alarm doesn't arm (no indicators or door-warning LEDs flash), alarm will not sound if interior monitor is 'provoked' through an open window. The windows no longer open or close off the key or remote (roof doesn't close either).

I managed to persuade a friend of mine to lend me his laptop and VAG-COM set-up, because his cable was busted and I offered to try and repair/replace parts of it. In the end I succeeded, and I gave it a whirl on my little A3 to see what it threw up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did get a couple of seemingly minor fault codes when I ran an auto-scan, I noted these and cleared them, and then operated the car's systems (after disconnecting) for a while - I then reconnected and no fault codes had returned.

I then decided to run the output tests on the interior monitor (block 45) and the central locking (block 35) - I got a test pass on the interior monitor (with both door warning LEDs staying lit until I closed the block), and when I tested the central locking block, low and behold I got a 'music-to-my-ears' tune from the horn, and indicators blinking for that extra disco effect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Then only problem was, there were no reported fault codes on either block, they both passed test, the alarm CLEARLY worked, but when you lock the car (or try to operate the lazy windows/roof), still nothing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is making me convinced that the problem lies in something completely trivial - and I'm wondering if any of the fine minds on the forum have any ideas about it?

An earlier thought regarding potential switch problems on a door, the bonnet, boot or fuel cap, popped back into my head earlier - but the problem has come on without any of this switchgear getting any hammer (the car has done about a mile in total (backwards and forwards in/out of the garage) since the problem came about (and about the same distance before the problem came about (since buying)) - but is there any way to check these switches? Does anyone have any idea how the bonnet/boot/fuel cap switches work (so I can check for obvious damage)? - - And would this kind of fault prevent the lazy windows/roof from working?

As always, thanks for reading my mammoth waffle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And my thanks in advance for any help you can offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rob.

Hey all,

Just thought I'd post an update on this one just for the sake of inputting some more knowledge to the forum (useless though it probably is)...

When I was doing output tests with VAG-COM, it appears that it was skipping a couple of them for whatever reason - shaky install methinks. Anyway, I got it all freshly set up on a better laptop today as I managed to get a USB-serial convertor from work, and it did all the output tests correctly. A couple of things that happend (or didn't, depending on how you look at it!) are making me think my interior monitor control unit is now sat on a cloud with a load of freelander engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...
I ran the tests on the central locking block, it sounded the alarm, it activated the crash indicator system, it also activated the interior monitor - gave a honk from the horn (which I've been wanting to enable as a permanent feature), and the LEDs started blinking (I don't know if provocation of the sensors should trigger the alarm when the interior monitor is enabled in this test mode, but mine certainly didn't no matter how much clapping and shouting I did -heheh).
Next I ran through all the output tests on the interior monitor system, it lit the door LEDs, did some other tests I saw no visual indications for (feed tests and stuff), then it came to "trigger(ing) alarm"... It did nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I might be jumping the gun, but those two things made me think that the interior monitor control unit has had it (I'll be rather un-impressed with the diagnostics system if it has though, as there are 0 fault codes on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

I might try and speak to an Audi tech guy at a main dealer on Monday and see if he'll make an educated guess on what they're gonna have to do to fix the car given a report of the symptoms and the results of the diagnostics I've been able to do. Somehow I doubt they're going to be too forthcoming with that information unless I'm stood there with my cheque-book though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway folks, like I say, I just thought I'd update the thread with the unfolding story.

Regards,

Rob.

This has probably been asked before, but as I’m new please be patient.

I was reading through your posts and I read that you were trying to make your alarm give a honk on the horn when you arm it.

Is this possible to do as a permanent fixture?

If so, how do you go about getting done?

And thirdly does it give a loud toot, or a quiet toot as toots go? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just for reference I own a Y reg 2001 S3.

Further more, whats the difference between the Face lift models and the Preface lift models as I am clueless on this! Is it just the interior is different??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers

Rooney

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
So whats the significance of the 65535 unit??

Are these know to be problematic?

Could you not just replace this unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as far as I know, the 65535 I'm seeing isn't an indication of the particular unit, it's a code that it has given itself to indicate that it's dead - 65535 being the maximum decimal value of a 16-bit binary number (1111111111111111) - which is just a default "I'm FUBAR" message that the control units on the vehicle give.

I'm guessing it's similar to the VAG-COM vs. Airbag issue that ross-tech have documented, whereby a scan on the "buggy" airbag controllers will set a 65535 - then this needs to be replaced.

I must say I would have expected there to be a fault code reported when I scanned the module for them, but it reports none. However, it seems very odd that...

a) I'm getting some extremely strange behaviour from the alarm system (it doesn't arm, but does sound during output tests on VAG-COM, the interior monitor disable button lights the lamps in the doors, even though it does very little else etc.)
Also - does the OEM ATW (the anti-theft alarm system) give a warning when your battery is low? (when I had a close-to-flat battery the other night the door LEDs illuminated when I unlocked the car which amazed me as it was the most life they've shown for weeks!)

And

b) I see a 65535 - perhaps not where I thought it would be, but I see one - and as far as I've managed to find out, nobody else (with a working alarm) has one there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

For my sake I hope I'm wrong, and it's just coincidence that there's a 65535 there, but I'm pretty confident I'm finally on the money with my diagnosis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (it's been a lonely few weeks sitting in the garage poking around at things)

As regards replacing the unit, I think that's the only way it's going to be fixed... But that's the bit I think is going to be expensive... Going to ring a dealer in the hope of finding out a little more about the work involved to fix it, and of course the cost... I'm guessing it's going to be something around the £300/£350 mark for the control unit itself, and then perhaps a good little sting on the labour for installation and re-coding everything up. If that's the case they can fit me a later model unit with the integrated remote system (so at least I get a pretty key out of it).

I'm not particularly confident I'll get much information though, Audi seem to think that I'm trying to steal their secrets every time I call and promptly waffle me off the line! I think I'll probably end up having to declare the car on-the-road, tax and insure it, just so I can go down there to find out about another wallet-hit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll be sure to post again and let you know what transpires (if anything does!)

Regards,

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
Rooney said:
This has probably been asked before, but as I’m new please be patient.

I was reading through your posts and I read that you were trying to make your alarm give a honk on the horn when you arm it.

Is this possible to do as a permanent fixture?

If so, how do you go about getting done?

And thirdly does it give a loud toot, or a quiet toot as toots go? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just for reference I own a Y reg 2001 S3.

Further more, whats the difference between the Face lift models and the Preface lift models as I am clueless on this! Is it just the interior is different??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers

Rooney

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rooney,

As has been mentioned...

Yes, it can be enabled as a permanent fixture - either by a dealer or an enthusiast with VAG-COM (there's a code in the unit (which can be adjusted) to tell it what functions it is to perform and which it isn't) - it's just a case of changing the decimal code so that there's a binary 1 where there used to be a 0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the noise front, I'm not certain but I'd say it probably depends upon what revision of alarm system you have - does your alarm sound a horn or a siren when it goes off? Anyway, as people have said, whatever it does it's certainly not offensive (my dads '93 V6 100 gives a short honk of the horn when he locks it - I was hoping to enable something similar (my alarm sounds a horn).

I'd give you a report on how successful I was with my re-code attempt but I only gave it a quick go and it seemed like the unit just wasn't accepting the instruction to be recoded - however I think that's more than likely linked to the fact it's properly broken. As soon as I find myself with a properly functioning Central Locking Control Unit, I'll have another bash and let you know how I get on - I do know that plenty of people on the forum have been successful in enabling/disabling these kind of options, so I wouldn't worry about doing it/getting it done. It's a very simple and painless procedure!

Regards,

Rob.

PS > If you're anywhere near me, you're welcome to make use of my VAG-COM setup to have a go...

Ok cool!

I believe my alarm is siren based, not horn based. So would this mean that i can only get a quick chirp from the siren and not the horn when its armed?

Unfotunatley Rob your in Lanc and im in Berkshire! shame but thanks all the same!