Funny sounding turbo

Blackcupraa

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

1999 S3 (APY 210).

Strange one for you. So I was out today having a drive, enjoying the weather, the views ;) etc. Got on my local dual carriageway and accelerated in 6th from 3000rpm, when I did so the turbo didn't "sound" how it should do, instead of a shhhhhhhhhhh (like they all do, it was more of a shhh shhh shh shhhh shhhh shhhh, for 1/2 - 1 second then normal sounding boost. This wasn't full throttle acceleration btw, something like 1/2 throttle or so.

Now this only happens when I have a passenger in the car, normally a lady who's a size 10, so no fatty, but when i'm alone it sounds normal.

Vagcom comes up all clear, does this sound like a boost leak or something much more sinister?

Any ideas?

Lol!

get a fatty in the passenger seat see if it makes any difference lmao!

I love the extra info you gave there.....

Sean

Reactions: Blackcupraa and Sandra
Sounds like a little compressor surge... warmer weather combined with a heavy loading (accelerating from 3k in 6th loads more than choosing a more appropriate gear) will bring this on... if you had changed to 5th or 4th it most likely wouldn't have happened... in warmer weather the ECU requests more boost to meet load request due to less dense warmer air..

<tuffty/>

I failed to add something. :(

It happened 2 weeks ago, with the same passenger may I add, in 4th gear at roughly the same RPM. I shrugged it off at the time as I very rarely have passengers.

Just as an FYI cars spec is, B5 V3 TIP, Jetex, 007p, SAI, N249, N112 removed and resistored, Custom Code stage 1 (generic).

So the fix is 2 fold, 1, get a size 8 passenger and 2, stop being lazy? :)

Reactions: s33nyboy12
I had this on mine, I thought it was turbo flutter, replaced my N75 for a new one, and all is good. My spec is AmD stage1 remap, Badger5 3" V1.5 with Jetex, and Samco Boost hoses.