Funny smell when towing - multitronic

joncro

Reaction score
Hi all, ive noticed whilst towing my caravan (1300kg which is well within the towing limits Audi state for my car) i occasionally can smell what appears to be a burning clutch from the car, especially on inclines or taking off on an incline. This only normally happens once or twice within the first 30 minutes of the journey. Could it be the oil is burning/ burnt and need a change or something more sinister? Dont have any flashing PRNDS lights and the car seems to drive fine. Before i bought the car i did look on various caravan forums about towing with this motor and found user reviews saying it was a great towing vehicle. My car in question is a jan 2008 a4 avant s line 140 bre.
Thanks
Jon

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions???

You probably burning the clutch pack due to weight and extra strain due to the steep gradients. I will suggest a different car or a lighter outfit. Multitronic gearboxes are kot the most reliable boxes out there...

Reactions: joncro
Thanks Adamss24, Towing the van to cayton bay from derbyshire in 2 weeks time. Hopefully the car will get us there and back ok then i will start looking for an alternative motor.