1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny noises from the engine bay and maybe something draining the battery.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by danpayneuk, Aug 27, 2010.

1. danpayneuk

danpayneuk Member

[Aug 27, 2010]
    Hi guys

Just picked up a 2000 audi s3.

I will try list the noises I have heard and hopefully you guys will understand wot i mean.

1st one. The small black box that sits next to the power steering resivour on the left of it. There is a ticking coming from it. For one I have no idea what it is and two I dont undertand why its ticking. It sounds like an electrical ticking.

2nd one. Again a ticking noise. But this time it sounds like its coming from the injectors. Or around this area. Quite a fast ticking.

3rd noise. I orignially thought it sounded like a belt rubbing or a bearing gone on one of the pulleys, but a friend thought it may be the alanator running over time trying to recharge the battery. It seems to happen everytime you start the car up but doesnt carry on all the time.

4th and hopefully finally. Just behind the drivers side fan on the back of the radiator there seems to be what could be a circualtion pump, which is in the coolant system. I noticed that when I went to jump start the car that this was running. It seems to keep running for ages after the car has stopped. Is this normal. I wondered if it was to help cool the engine down and cut out once a set temperature was reached.

I wondered if this is what was causing the battery to keep dying.

Sorry for the onslaught of problems. Was hoping I wouldnt have them. :tapedshut:

Anyways. I hope you guys can help as hate having things wrong with cars.

Thanks

Dan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

[Aug 27, 2010]
    Im guessing the 4th is the pump that does run on for about 10-20 mins after the ignition is turned off . That is normal. It flattens my battery if ive had the car in and out of the garage a few times without going for a proper run
  4. thorsy22

thorsy22 Member

[Aug 27, 2010]
    1. sounds like the charcoal filter, which is again I believe completely normal.
  5. danpayneuk

danpayneuk Member

[Aug 27, 2010]
    Well I suppose thats good news then.

What is the charcoal filter? And whats its job?

Will head out 2moz to get a new battery and hopefully solve that problem.

Thanks for the help
  6. Dazboss

Dazboss Like A Thristy Dingo ;)

[Aug 29, 2010]
    2nd noise is the injectors & coil packs there meant to tick so its normal :)

4th noise is as you siad the electronic water pump, it keeping the water flowing around the engine. So there is no hot spots in any of the pipes. Good idea i think, but if your battery is low then i can see it draining your battery :(

Sounds all normal to me, shouldn't worry u'l get used to them.
  7. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Aug 29, 2010]
    all points sound pretty normal to me too....also with yours being a 2000 model, it may have a secondary air pump which will make a noise on start up from cold
  8. danpayneuk

danpayneuk Member

[Aug 30, 2010]
    Ok cheers guys. Its just me being paranoid then. lol.

Loving the car loads. Cant wait to start doing a few changes to it to make a little faster and nicer
  9. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Aug 30, 2010]
    first things first think what you want to spend, i was never into the tuning game and to a large degree, still am not..... but after driving someones mapped S3 stage 1 i was sold within a few hundred yards....its an entirely different car and you wont get that much power for pounds ever again ;)