Fully Programmable VS Piggyback ECU (LONG THREAD)

mtsakmakis

Reaction score
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gifThe topic has been discussed and thrown around here a few times but there have really been no real answers as to what to do / which way is better in terms of value for money.

The story is this:

I have no real ambitions in to having my standard ECU chipped/remapped/flashed/{insert funky word here} due to the overrated costs involved with playing around a factory item. Alot of the people out there will argue until theyre black & blue about the remapping, but thats not the question I have.

For serious power gains, I understand that fully programmable engine management far outdoes piggyback systems, but for a cost which sometimes is double/triple/quadriple the price of a good piggyback system.

I want to hear stories about people's associations with the two, ie: how things interracted with the audi ecu, how things were integrated into place, etc. etc.

Im only interested in peoples opinions and not recommendations. Afterall, every $$ spent has to be accounted for and real world tuneability needs to remain, as well as a daily, street driven tune.

Anyone with information/preferences of product, please let me/us (considering alot of us B5'ers tend to want extra power) know of type, pro's and con's of the system and where to find it.

Ideally, I would love for there to be a plug-in type of engine management system for the '96 TQ, but, in the Real World, this will never be the case (unless ofcourse you actually have done the R&D, and have had the time to market and produce the product yourself).

Sorry to the guys who would prefer to tell me/us all about the benefits of remapping. Its just out of the question for me (yes, bad experiences with 'chip tuners').

Thanks in Advance.

I thought that this thread would ignite some positive and interesting feeback. C'mon guys, lets hear your thoughts about it. Afterall, each and everyone of us has had an idea of one or the other at some time.