1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full body respray

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by big harty, Mar 27, 2013.

1. big harty

big harty Member

Hi guys. Well my 2008 s 3 is looking a bit tired. I want a full body respray around the West Midlands. Can anyone recommend a very good garage. Please be aware I'm very fussy when it comes to my car...lol. Thank you in advance. She is phantom black.
  2. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Ade, give me a bell mate, as we could do it down here & maybe do some of those upgrades you were interested in at the same time :)

How's the clutch btw?
  3. big harty

big harty Member

Clutch is fine now m8. Been quoted 2 k for full body respray. Does that sound good. Very good quality body shop.. Hhhhhmmmmm mods. That sounds good... Been really busy so s3 has took a back burner ...until now lol.
  4. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

So they fixed the clutch or you just bulked up your legs lmao.

2k urmmm depends if they will strip everything out, including engine bay etc.

I was just thinking, if the front end if being painted, why not do the update as we discussed then it kind of offsets the costs a bit, as it was a consideration already no?

Give me a bell mate to discuss it & we can shoot the breeze & see what you think :)
  5. Bramley

Bramley Member

What about wrapping it?
  6. Jonathaan

Jonathaan Diesel Power!

7. A3-black

A3-black Member

Would plasti dip or wrapping get as good of a finish as a respray? Can't imagine it would be as durable either.
  8. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

Plasti dip can but it will be a bit of work.
    It won't last as long as paint.
    It's a temporary colour change.
  9. Mr. B

Mr. B English...not so good

Pictures please, can't be that bad, nothing an extensive detail can't fit. Or do you fancy a colour change? Both Ash187 and chris1988browns, went for the cheap respays and both there cars look stunning. Find the threads. For the price you've been quoted, you could get 3 cheap respay until you're happy lol.
  10. Jonathaan

Jonathaan Diesel Power!

The way to get the cost down as far as im aware is to strip it all down yourself,
  11. _G_

_G_ Member

+1 do as much prep as you can
  12. GuyJ

GuyJ Member

Hey, going to give you my 2 pence worth :)

What colour are you thinking about changing too? Is it another S3 colour?
    £2000 is a good price. When you break the cost down.
    You will be £500+ on materials easy i reckon.
    I own a Mini Cooper Cup race car, we built it from the ground up. The shell needed painted so i contacted a few bodyshops for quotes.
    They were all in the region of £1500/£1700 as the engine was out and everything was stripped (inside getting painted too) I decided it was too expensive so a mate of mine who is a painter said he would do it FOC as a homer as long as i helped. Which i did. The amount of work involved is unreal. After it all i understood why i was getting quotes of £1500/£1700.
    I spent £500 on materials and spent countless hours labour.
    Basically what i'am saying is if you are going a S3 colour maybe think about selling and buying one in that colour? I personally would be put off buying a car that has had a colour change. Maybe others will too so consider that if re sale is something you think is important.
    Finding a body shop you can trust as well is important, i trust my friend 100% and he told me he would charge £1500 for painting the race car which is already stripped, no trim, engine to remove. I personally think the price represents the quality of the result. So i would expect a high quality respray to cost £2.5k/2.7k then again...you could pay that and the job be kak :(
    Thats just my 2 pence worth :)
    big harty likes this.
  13. Joeeey

Joeeey S3

Same with me, I want a full respray as ive got a few chips and I can start to see a bit of a colour fade on the plastic compared to the metal! Im just a bit scared of someone doing a rubbish job on my precious s3!
    big harty likes this.
  14. big harty

big harty Member

She is phantom black. Has a few dents and **** loads of stone chip on front end. Had a detailer round today and he said paint readings were too low for a paint correction. The trouble is I love my s3 and have spent thousands on her and I feel the body work is letting her down. Now to most people she looks great but as I said I want her to be perfect. She spends most of her life in the heated garage ... I'm mad I know. Wife thinks I'm bloody mental. I want to keep it the same colour. I'm not into wrapping etc. I just want her to look a1
  15. big harty

big harty Member

True. I've told the garage that has quoted,that I'm very fussy. And I won't pay a penny unless I'm 100 percent happy and I want pics of whole job.
  16. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

17. big harty

big harty Member

Ash your motor looks great. How much roughly for face lift front end.
  18. N4th4n90

N4th4n90 Member

Just got my black A3 back from Reynolds of Rushock after an insurance claim. It's flawless. Not sure what costs are like but I know they're approved by Audi, Jag, Porsche, VW, Land Rover so they've got quite a rep!
  19. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

thanks mate.
    It depends on where you source your parts from and how you get it... all in all with parts, paint and repair work i spent just over £2k i think on the facelift. but i also got the rear S3 bumper as i needed to replace the damaged one and the RS3 grill. the alloys set me back another grand so the total bill was just under £4k which was well within the money that i got from the insurance payout for the damages in the first place