1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel trim help please.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by g60leigh, Sep 27, 2012.

1. g60leigh

g60leigh Well-Known Member

I have had the engine check light come on twice now.
    When checking with vcds I get the error
    17544 - fuel trim bank 1 (add)
    P1136 - 35-00 - system too lean.

After the first time it came up I changed the MAF for a brand new genuine one. Thinking this would be the problem. However got the error again yesterday.

I have also recently replaced the MAF plug with one I got second hand as the one on the car had broken an was held on place with tie wraps. I have a good connection and all of the wires were soldered and sealed with get shrink.

Can anyone suggest what could b causing this? Am I barking up the wrong tree with the MAF?

Thanks.

2. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

I'd say vac/PCV pipe leaking. There are some under the inlet manifolds that are favourites for perishing/splitting.

3. g60leigh

I have replaced most if them with silicone not so long ago actually so could well be the culprit. I did double check anything not replaced was in good order and all connections were tight but bet I have missed something.

4. g60leigh

Had a look at hoses and found one with a nice pair of splits in it. Sealed it up with some silicone repair tape. Which seems to have done a good job of sealing it.
    Only done a few miles since but no sign of error code.
    Fingers crossed it is all it needs.