1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Smell

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by satanmademedoit, Jan 29, 2008.

1. satanmademedoit

HI all,

Been having a problem with a strong smell of fuel when i open the drivers window of my S3. It tends to be only when the car is warm, usually get the smell when slowing down in traffic or stopped at lights.
    I have changed the fuel filter(as suggested on previous posts) and that seemed to make some difference, but the smell persists.
    The car has had a rear driver side quarter panel repair before i bought it. This smell seems to be coming from that side!

I've checked the fuel supply and return lines but a cant see anything obvious! I know from past experience that a little fuel leak can smell like a huge gushing fountain so i may have missed something.

Has anyone changed these lines before(see item 3 below)? Is it a major job? Does the tank need to be removed to access item 1,2 and 12?

Any help is much needed!!!

[​IMG]

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. golf

golf ***** rent boy
    VCDS Map User

It may be an idea to check that the fuel filter has been secured properly, the fitting has to be watertight or else a few drops may leak out which is enough to cause the fuel smell.

4. satanmademedoit

bump