1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fuel smell???

A3tell Apr 21, 2011

1. A3tell

A3tell Member

as above, i seem to have a rather strong fuel smell on starting the car, i have checked around and cant see anything obvious, had my fuel filter changed 3 weeks ago, so its not that.
    now i am getting pretty close to my r-tech trip next weekend, so has anyone had experience on this issue, and is it something i should get checked out before i go???

2. Agric04

Agric04 Member VCDS Map User

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

A favourite of this problem is the little plastic pipe that goes to the evap next to the coolant bottle it splits on the ends. its a black corrugated plastic pipe

4. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

Dave what's evap? My car exhaust smells of fuel aswell when i start it, only started happning in the past few months though and i don't know what it is!

5. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Running rich maybe ?!

6. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

What's the reason for running rich though mate?

7. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

remap putting in too much fuel normally, Have you got a generic map?

8. Greig300

Greig300 Member

Try cleaning and checking your fuel cap... if its not sitting right it really can get strong. If it is the cap dont buy copies off ebay as they are junk and dont seal correct... i have one spare lying about :) it dont have the rubber wire that holds it to the car though.

9. DavidW

DavidW Member

My money is on the pipe Dave mentioned,it runs round the back of the coolant bottle and into the filter. It's only a push on plastic pipe, swap it for some rubber or silicone if it looks to be split.

10. davidniclee

davidniclee Member

i have the same on my a3 but ony just had it but carnt pin point it just smells quite strong

11. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Take the left hand cover off and all will be seen (by the coolant top up) it usually makes a ticking noise.....